PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a photo of a 1933 or 1934 Goudey unopened pack?

Archive
03-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>Does anyone have a scan or photo of a 1933 or 1934 Goudey unopened pack? I've seen wrappers, but would love to see an unopened pack.

Archive
03-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Posted By: <b>David Smith</b><p>Hello,<br /><br />Be warned, reading this might make you cry (I know I almost did at the time).<br /><br />In the mid 1990's, I got to know an older man who had been collecting cards since his youth and really started big time after he graduated college and started a family.<br /><br />He was an Attorney and after he was settled into his practice, he had the time and money to search for cards. He would travel the country, sometimes with another collecting friend. One time, they found a couple of boxes of Goudeys. I can not remember if they were 1933 or 1934. Anyway, one was full and the other was a partial box.<br /><br />What did they do? They opened all of the packs and split the cards evenly. They threw the boxes and wrappers away because at that time, they weren't worth anything.<br /><br />UGH!!<br /><br />David

Archive
03-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Posted By: <b>RC</b><p>If I'm allowed an Eric Clapton reference, there must be "Tears In Heaven"!<br />I would just like to see the mint cards that came out of the packs.<br /><br />RC

Archive
03-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Posted By: <b>David Smith</b><p>Me too!! Imagine what a box of unopened Goudeys would bring in a Mastro Auction??<br /><br />He said this find was back in the late 1960's or early 1970's. By the time I knew him, he had sold off a lot of his collection because of fears of theft.<br /><br />Another find he had but didn't buy was multiple MINT Kahns Weiner cards of all sports. He either put an ad in a newspaper that he would be in a certain town at a certain date looking to buy ball cards or he was at an early ballcard show, I can't remember which, and a guy showed up with a suitcase full of cards.<br /><br />The seller said his Dad worked at Kahn's and when the cards first came out, he would buy (or take) a complete set. After the promotion was over for that year, he would buy (or take) the extras and make more sets.<br /><br />My friend said he didn't buy the cards because he was afraid they were stolen and he didn't want to take the chance of having his Law license revoked since he had a wife and a couple of young children. That was one of the few things he regretted not buying.<br /><br /><br />David<br /><br />

Archive
03-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>No Goudey packs here...<br /><br />A veteran collector once opined about wrappers. He'd bought 1952 Topps when they came out, and subsequent Topps thereafter. He had a full 1952 set, full 1951 Bowman, and thereafter...<br /><br />He figured that if he'd opened the packs, tossed the cards, and saved the wrappers in good, flat condition, that today he'd be money ahead, better off than he was having kept the cards.