PDA

View Full Version : Quality of this Goudey Ruth (#144) PSA7?

Archive
02-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Is this a high end or low end PSA7? Are you ok with the centering? Edges? What are your thoughts on the #144? <br /><br />Thanks and regards.<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260089678925&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260089678925&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting</a>

Archive
02-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Posted By: <b>dapnj</b><p>Signed,<br /><br />DAPNJ

Archive
02-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>The first thing I'd be worried about is the guy's feedback. Piss poor.<br /><br />edited to add: now I look more carefully at his feedback history, it looks like his negatives came a long time ago. So maybe that is no longer an issue.<br /><br />As for the card, from the scan, it looks a bit oc and the corners are tough to see, but from the small scan, looks a bit rough. If I was interested, I'd ask the seller to email larger scans front/back.

Archive
02-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>The seller hasn't had a neg since Oct '02. Here's the list of negs:<br /> <br /><br />3 months, lots of promises but NO PAYMENT! DEABEAT BIDDER!!!<br />yanks-fan( 227) no longer a registered user <br />Oct-11-02 06:44 1841548704 <br />Reply by dmick: Unreasonable Man - Sent Payment - Communicated Appropriately and he leaves Neg?? Oct-12-02 09:31 <br /> <br />**WAS HIGH BIDDER, **NEVER PAID FOR ITEM<br />bob-rds( 1537) Jan-25-00 15:22 216844736 <br />Reply by dmick: Out of town on business unexpectedly - same thing for two negatives in Jan 1999 <br /> <br />BEWARE THIS DEADBEAT!! After 1 wk. responds with promise to pay..BUT DOESN'T!!<br />cubman23( 664) Jan-02-00 15:39 214334164 <br />Reply by dmick: I was unavailable during Christmas week - See above retraction <br /> <br />NEVER PAID, NO COMMUNICATION, NO NOTHIN'! DISHONEST & DISREPUTABLE!<br />flynnmg( 1101) Jan-12-99 06:53 <br /> <br /><i>NEVER PAID</i> DID NOT RETURN EMAILS YOU OWE ME $28. DENNIS -PAY UP!!!!!<br />tomkat-13( 2030) Jan-05-99 08:52 <br />

Archive
03-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Posted By: <b>dapnj</b><p>Turns out that the edges do look pretty nice, but the side to side front centering is about 70/30. Does this seem unusual for a PSA-7? Would this automatically means that, in your mind, this would be a "low grade PSA-7"? Thanks and best regards.

Archive
03-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Prizner</b><p>The seller is a friend of mine, the auction is legit.

Archive
03-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Posted By: <b>dapnj</b><p>Not suggesting in the least that the auction is not legit. I've been emailing back and forth with the seller, and he seems very fair, reasonable and above board. I'm just trying to gauge whether a PSA 7 with 70/30 centering is attractive or not. Thanks and regards.

Archive
03-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>To begin with you seem to be teetering on whether this card is strong for the grade. The following is PSAs criteria for grading a card a "7":<br /><br />NM 7: Near Mint. <br /><br />A PSA NM 7 is a card with just a slight surface wear visible upon close inspection. There may be slight fraying on some corners. Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. A minor printing blemish is acceptable. Slight wax staining is acceptable on the back of the card only. Most of the original gloss is retained. Centering must be approximately 70/30 to 75/25 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back. <br /><br />You somehow believe that the card meets the 70/30 criteria for centering (front). I don't need a micrometer to tell me that the ratio is worse than 70/30 side to side. So, if you asked me, PSA screws up again and provides a grade to a card that it shouldn't have. PSAs own criteria indicates that it should not be greater than 70/30 on the centering. Therefore if you're worried about the grade then don't buy the card. However, the overall appearance, IMO, is that it looks nice even with it being off centered. Now if you're buying the slab/label, then don't do it unless you can get a good discount on the price. Otherwise, just pass on the card and find another with better centering (which will probably end up costing you more).

Archive
03-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Posted By: <b>dapnj</b><p>Judge, I blew up the scans I was sent, and it actually is 70/30. I was as surprised as you seem to be.

Archive
03-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>I did the same thing. I blew it up and then concluded it was about 65/35. I suppose that's close enough to 70/30. The main issue to overcome is how comfortable you are with the card. If the OC part bugs you, then wait for another. I'm more into corners, surfaces and images. OC doesn't bother me too much so 70/30 is ok. Beyond that is a bit much for me though. If you have doubts now then you may have more doubts later. Look for a strong strong "6" in a more reasonable price range. You know that they exist and it's just a matter of being patient and finding it. Better to have a strong "6" at a "6" price than a weak "7" at a "7" price.<br /><br />GOOD LUCK!!!

Archive
03-03-2007, 05:00 AM
Posted By: <b>Glyn Parson</b><p>I will never understand why some people need someone else to tell them it is ok to buy something. If you like it buy it if you dont like it dont buy it. Different people have different tastes what one person doesn't mind another collector may hate. It is your money so buy what you like. Obviously asking about authenticity is a different thing and I understand those questions.