PDA

View Full Version : How does folding a T201 affect value?

Archive
02-22-2007, 06:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Eric B</b><p>How does folding a card that was designed to be folded affect price? For example, let's say you have an EX example of a T201 Mecca double-folder. It has no creases or paper loss. Just some slightly rounded corners and normal light wear. But has not been folded at all - when you hold it up by one end it does not bend. Let's put a value of $200 on it.<br /><br />1) Now let's say it gets folded once or twice. Holding one end causes very little bend. Otherwise still no creases (other than the fold of course).<br /><br />2) It's been folded a dozen times or maybe twice, but stored that way for a long time. Holding one end causes it to bend 15 degrees or so. But the fold is still mostly solid. Same condition otherwise.<br /><br />3) It's been folded dozens of times. Bends about 90 degrees. Maybe the ends at the fold are a bit looses, but not falling apart. Same condition otherwise.

Archive
02-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Posted By: <b>MEWheat</b><p>I collect T 201's and don't think this has a major influence. Most collectors assume T201s have been folded or exhibit some degree of "creasing" at the fold. The most important point is rounding of corners, particularly at the crease. When a card is unfoldeded you really notice corner wear at the fold since it will be near the uppermiddle of the card. The bottom corners seem to get the most wear followed by the corners at the fold. <br /><br />Just my opinion.

Archive
02-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>I couldn't imagine that there are too many T201 cards that haven't been folded at least once. What I look for are those little triangle notches at the edges where the fold line is. If I see the triangles I shy away from the card. I think those notches kill the look of the card. Notchless T201s seem to be the most aesthetically appealing cards, even with a little corner wear. <br /><br />

Archive
02-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Posted By: <b>Eric B</b><p>Excellent point on the notches. I am trying to make a purchase based on poor scans and that is something to look for.