PDA

View Full Version : 1909 Matty Caramel - opinions ?

Archive
02-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Posted By: <b>steve</b><p>I noticed today on ebay closes a 1909 Mathewson Caramel card, ungraded, listed as high grade, item 110084236094. What are chances its the real deal?

Archive
02-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Posted By: <b>Bruce</b><p>Very little chance that it is legit. But if you are a gamblin man... Seriously, the scan is not big enough to offer an opinion on authenticity. However, the usual red flags ( private auction, bad feedback etc..) are in place so IMO it would be a losers bet to take the chance.

Archive
02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe Jones</b><p>I think it is most likely a fake. There have been other fake E cards floating around ebay, including E95 Mathewsons.

Archive
02-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Posted By: <b>dstudeba</b><p>I decided to pass for the reasons mentioned above, and no credit cards or paypal, and in Canada.

Archive
02-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>I had wrote her and questioned the authenticity. She told me that she was offered $3000 for the card..but the guy was a jerk so she said no. She then told me she'd take $1200 for it. Now why in the world would someone say they'd take $1800 less than someone else offered based on the first guy being a jerk??

Archive
02-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Steve f</b><p>About a year ago.<br /><br /> Everything this guy used to sell was "Acquired at a show in Toronto" and is "very old" and nothing was selling. Now he's just coming right out and lying. This one's counterfeit. Funny, he lists a lesser caramel, but graded.<br /><br /> His old handle "Mayoplug" has been naru'd for selling fakes... They always return to the scene of the crime.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />He used to be vague in the descriptions;<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110072466244" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110072466244</a>

Archive
02-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Posted By: <b>steve</b><p>Yeah, if its too good to be true, it probably is - I will lay off of it myself - I don't need the potential headaches. Someday, won't just about ALL the nice vintage cards be slabbed? Common sense says new submissions will continue to decrease over time to a trickle, no good stuff eventually left ungraded. Hence, more skepticism over ungraded material.

Archive
02-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Posted By: <b>JK</b><p>I agree that the matty is fake - low feedback, private auction, etc (not to mention that steve has already rec'd a fake from this guy). Nevertheless, there are still deals to be had on raw cards - the e95 cobby being a prime example.

Archive
02-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve f</b><p>I did get my money back from his other account, but it took nearly two months and several emails along with returning the fake to Canada etc. <br /><br />Red Flags; No paypal, private bidders, private feedback from his buyers ONLY when it was a "vintage" card (not his modern shiny crap and comics) and an ungraded high-end example. <br /><br />Strange that his graded E98 Matty is all private. A curtain for shills. I seriously doubt that card will leave his house -if it's even his. It's likely a ploy to build confidence in his other Matty. Pisses me off that eBay allows this flagrant abuse. Pardon my rant.<br /><br /><br /><br />

Archive
02-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>If the guy was a jerk, she should have been happy to fleece him out of the $1,800 ... And she considers someone who contacts here solely to label her card a fake worthy of the nice guy discount. <br /><br />My favorite was when the guy was offering an ungraded "Mint" 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle for $50,000 discount because he didn't want to pay the PSA fee ... By the same token I wouldn't bend down to pick up a roll of $100s on the sidewalk, because bending down is such a hassle. Perhaps if I was already down there tying my shoe, straightening my pants cuff or picking up keys that fell out of my pocket. But barring something like that I'll let someone else have the small fortune.