PDA

View Full Version : nap lajoie psa 9 throwing t206

Archive
01-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Posted By: <b>fessgreg</b><p>i guess i should ask my ultimate question on soveriegn backs. www.rarecards.com has a t206 nap lajoie psa 9 throwing for sale with a soveriegn back. rick the owner has been uncooperative as far a pop reports,his asking price,premeium for the soveriegn back etc. i emailed him back in november and all he said was i turned down 3x smr make me an offer. this time he just said make me an offer. i know i've been critized before for asking prices on high end cards since their hard to gauge. but can anyone offer a suggestion on what the card is worth? signed Greg

Archive
01-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby Binder</b><p>Greg,<br /><br />We have no recorded sales of a PSA 9 but do have a number of 8's all with P or SC backs here are the results:<br /><br />12/8/06 Mastro $4,467.60 <br />11/30/06 SCP $5,381.00 <br />3/12/06 eBay $4,183.16 <br />12/9/05 Mastro $3,614.30

Archive
01-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>I am not familar with Rick, but judging from the website, I would be very cautious. Why does he cover the serial numbers on all the scans of graded cards? The website also has a lot of navigational problems. I would think that somebody selling cards like that would have a more professional and functional website. Again, this is based on a short look at the site and your description of interactions with him - nothing more.<br />JimB

Archive
01-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>if that website is legit....i'm the king of england.

Archive
01-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>Website is butchered...... Id stay away.<br /><br />In any case, with a high grade card like a Lajoie 9, the Sovereign back is not going to add a premium. It is not a rare or scarce back, but not really common either. On a low to middle grade card it may have a slight premium, but with a 9 your paying for the slab (grade).

Archive
01-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Usually dealers selling PSA 9 T206 HOFs are pretty well known in the hobby. This one has red flags for me.<br />JimB

Archive
01-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Damian Anderson</b><p>Don't know if this helps but there are 4 9's for the throwing variety and zero for with bat and portrait. A premium for either variety that has zero 9's could be very significant, for the throwing 4 9's is quite a few in my opinion. Not sure how much (or at) 3 times SMR would be worth it for any variety. Hope this helps.<br /><br />Best Regards,<br />Damian

Archive
01-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Posted By: <b>fessgreg</b><p>thanks for all your input. the guy may be legit. brian at bmw first told me about him and i do all my business with brian. like rick, rick's website is strange. i don't like to do business with someone who is so uncooperative. but the real question was not answered. how much is the card worth????? signed Greg

Archive
01-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Dale</b><p>Some people have good ones, some don't and I don't fret about the quality of web site - but blocking out the numbers is huge to me. That would turn me away in a heart beat.

Archive
01-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Craig</b><p>FYI<br />The website is real; Rick is real. He has the cards.<br /><br />Rick is fishing; He won't ever name a price. Before ebay started charging substantially for reserve price auctions he used to put his cards on all the time to find out "market value". The reserve was never met.<br /><br />Rick paid 7k for that Lajoie. It sold on ebay a few summers ago.<br /><br />The Lajoie throwing is one of the easiest t206 hofer's to find in high grade.<br />I wouldn't go crazy trying to wrest that one away from him. It's going to take an insane offer and isn't worth it imo. <br /><br />The people who collect t206 hofers in psa 8 aren't likely to pay a significant premium for a Sovereign back. They more likely care about the player than the back. It's not like a Drum ,Uzit ,Broadleaf 460 etxc<br />

Archive
01-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>if this is "broadway" rick...I'd stay away.<br /><br />pete in mn

Archive
01-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Posted By: <b>fessgreg</b><p>i'm not going to buy the card. thanks for everybody's input. was it a 9 when he bought it several summers ago? has it gone up in price that much? this whole experience with rick has been strange. still i would like to know how much a throwing psa 9 nap lajoie t206 is worth. Signed Greg

Archive
01-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>I had one experience with rarecards.com. I expressed interest in 1933 Goudey PSA 8 cards. He told me he had a Hornsby PSA 8 card for $7K. I asked for a scan. It was a decent card, but overpriced I though. So I passed. A day later, as I was browsing the internet, I noticed the same exact card in 707Sportscards inventory for $3,750. Hahaha. The exact same PSA cert number...and then I also noticed in the scan rarecards.com sent me, it had a missing middle section of the PSA label...you guessed it, that was where 707 put their pricing sticker. A week later, I bought the card from 707 at a show.

Archive
01-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Lichtman</b><p>Well, there's your answer -- another fraud on the net.

Archive
01-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>Not that this is the case here. But there have been people who say they have cards they dont actually own (yet), take your $$ then buy the card from another source and sell it to you like a middle man.<br /><br />It happened to me a couple times. A few years back there was a dealer (many know him) who would advertise in the SCD unique cards from my website but at about 50-100% more than my prices. He would then have a few SCD readers contact him, and then he would try to buy the card from me to sell to them (usually making a couple hundred ea.). I didnt know about this and did sell to him 2 times. It wasnt until a fellow collector told me his monthly ads in the SCD were at times 75%-100% my cards (many rare unique "type cards"). I really didnt care too much at first because I was happy to have a sale, but then I thought about it more and didnt like it. From that point on I would tell him, the card was saved or sold, or I even temporarily jacked up the price of every card he advertised to what it said in his ads to kill his profit. His practice of listing my cards ended soon after.

Archive
01-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Posted By: <b>fessgreg</b><p>something i didn't realize about the holder of the card not showing. that's interesting. like i said i feel uncomfortable dealing with someone like this. smr on this card is 12.5k. i think its worth about 2x smr or about 25k if its legit. i was trying to find out about price because i know a lot of people deal with t206's on this board. can anyone refute or back my claim on the price. signed Greg

Archive
01-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>I dont think a 9 is worth 5 times more than an 8. But then again I dont think an 8 is worth $4K, especially a card that is far from rare. But there are people that spend money like that, needing the best of the best.<br /><br />At best it (Lajoie "throw") is the 21st best card in the T206 set.<br /><br />For me, $25K..... Id buy a nice VG T206 set, and go on a couple nice trips to the South Pacific, and still have a Lajoie "throwing" to boot.

Archive
01-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>There have been very few T206 9's come back with that kind of money on a sale. There was a PSA 9 Johnson (portrait)...which was 44k...which that card is not. There was a Waddell (throwing) 27k..I imagine this was a couple guys getting into a bidding war. And there was a McGinnity for 20k....again, a bidding war by a couple eager fellows in my opinion. So, I would say the Lajoie could easily fall in that range I suppose...all depends who's shopping that day. <br /><br />Dave

Archive
01-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>FKW,<br />If you ever find a vg T206 set for 25k, I'll buy it from you and sell it the next day and take the trip to the South Pacific. I think a vg set would be more in the 40-50 range these days.<br />JimB

Archive
01-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>"For me, $25K..... Id buy a nice VG T206 set, and go on a couple nice trips to the South Pacific, and still have a Lajoie "throwing" to boot. "<br /><br />yes, that's you...but for others (not me, darn it), they don't have to make a choice. They can take the Lajoie PSA 9, the VG T206 set, and a couple nice trips to the South Pacific in their own private jets...oh, and maybe pick up a couple of small corporations too.

Archive
01-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>i feel that i am very good at putting values on T206 9's...out of about a dozen that have come up for sale over the last 12 months, i bought half of them (i have since sold or traded them)...my value on a 1 of 4 lajoie throwing is about $16-19K. IF it were a 1/1, then that would be a different story, because then you can assume the "big boys" on PSA's set reg would need it and there would be some serious bidding on it...BUT, that is not the case here.<br /><br />when you are spending that much on a card, make sure you can see the "whole" card, including the flip & cert. number...or at least make sure you know the seller.<br /><br />MS