PDA

View Full Version : Is this real or reprint? OJ Poster on Ebay

Archive
01-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Clarke</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-JUDGE-CIGARETTE-ADVERTISING-Tobacco-Baseball-poster_W0QQitemZ300072127037QQihZ020QQcategoryZ380 52QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-JUDGE-CIGARETTE-ADVERTISING-Tobacco-Baseball-poster_W0QQitemZ300072127037QQihZ020QQcategoryZ380 52QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a><br /><br /><br />Looks like a really nice item one way or another... How can you determine the age?

Archive
01-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>According to the listing, it measures about 11" x 15". The recent Smithsonian book describes the original as more than 40" tall.

Archive
01-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve f</b><p>Certainly a fake laser-print. My counterfeit A Joss-Charity team photo resembles the same print glare. my two cents

Archive
01-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I beleive there are only 1 or 2 of the original posters known to exist, and are valued<br />in something like the $30,000 to $70,000 range (maybe more). As the seller notes he <br />doesn't know that it's real and the size is apparently off, it more than safe to<br />say it's a reprint.<br /><br />With a modern reprint, the entire poster will be made up of the modern multi-color <br />dot pattern-- like you find on a modern card or computer picture. So it<br />wouldn't be difficult to identify it as a reprint in person.

Archive
01-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeremy</b><p>...and am really surprised it surfaced here. I'm assuming the answer is coming.

Archive
01-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>I retracted my bid after reading the updated note the seller added.

Archive
01-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>What is interesting about the poster is you get to see what the Old Judge<br />cards could of looked like if they were printed in color.

Archive
01-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>It's a fake, don't bid on it. A real one would be worth about $150,000. This one is at $600. What does that tell you?

Archive
01-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe</b><p>I also saw this and thought it would be nice to have even as a reprint - then saw the price skyrocket.<br />There was a thread this past summer about a poster for the Goodwin Round Album that was on Ebay.<br />This OJ poster has the same look to it; water stains and discoloration on the back, yet 4 crisp corners.<br />The aging doesn't make sense. It would have to have been in a frame or rolled up to keep the corners like that<br />for 115+ years, yet there's aging and water stains?<br />Not real and definitely not worth the $500+.

Archive
01-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>I threw a low bid ($500) on it the first day to maybe keep someone from buying it offline. I was going to do more research on it before the auction ended. Thanks for bringing to light the size. It is the perfect size to be homemade, and the seller sure doesnt stand behind their item.

Archive
01-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve f</b><p>I'd like reiterate, I understand and appreciate folks not posting an iffy ongoing auction, but if provenance is uncertain of an item you've won... Post the scans and photos after winning and <i>before</i> paying. <br /><br />If it's determined by VBC members that you're being scammed, most sellers (honest or otherwise) would allow a backout. For the skeptics, just provide a link to your post here. No seller wants 'COUNTERFEIT' in their Feedback.<br /><br />Incidentally, ebay has rescinded a non-paying bidder strike against my account once I simply advised them that the auction was a counterfeit.

Archive
01-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>The original is huge, and there are only a couple known. Gary Cypres has one, and it is pictured in Stephen Wong's book Smithsonian Baseball.

Archive
01-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Nice work guys...the seller ended it and relisted it as a reproduction.

Archive
01-26-2007, 04:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe D.</b><p>I respect what the seller did here, and think it is a cool looking poster.<br /><br />so I put in a bid on his new auction.<br /><br /><br />

Archive
01-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>It is a gorgeous poster, and what I like about it is it advertises baseball cards that don't exist- hand drawn color Old Judges!

Archive
01-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Jim Clarke</b><p>This is what the board is good for.... It helps educate buyers and sellers. The seller did the correct thing by ending it early. I to will be placing a bid in the new auction....

Archive
01-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay</b><p>You can buy a beautiful photographic, full size reproduction from the HOF for a little over $200.

Archive
01-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Did anybody notice that while every hand drawn single player card seems to correspond with a known photographic pose, in the upper left corner there is an oversized two player card with an unknown pose? What is that all about? It's a strange poster as it depicts something that doesn't exist. Even in 1888 you couldn't find color cards that looked like that.