PDA

View Full Version : Lots vs. Singles

Archive
01-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Baxter</b><p>If one were to start building a pre-war card collection with an eye towards quantity over quality, what is the smarter move dollar-wise, buying lots or singles?

Archive
01-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Lots will get you the quantity you are looking for, and you can fill in the singles later (the Dickey Pearce article went out today).

Archive
01-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...have to be careful. A common misperception is that cards sold as a lot will be worth more if broken up and sold individually. This is, of course, not always the case. It has been my experience that collectors will sometimes pay a premium if they can get a large group of cards all at once. That being said, I would never have completed my T206 set without a number of large quantity purchases.

Archive
01-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>Adam,<br /><br />The above posters have more experience than me, so you should probably listen to them, but in my humble opinion go for rarity first.<br /><br />So if the lot has a few rare cards then that's the lot you should buy. But normally, the rare cards will be sold individually, in that case buy them individually. If the card is truly rare, don't worry too much about whether the card is slabbed or raw.<br /><br />However, if the card has been counterfeited before, buy it only slabbed.<br /><br />Good luck to ya.<br /><br />Peter