PDA

View Full Version : SGC AUTH with card attributes

Archive
01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>I hope people don't think I'm "outing" an auction because this is in the correct category. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a new SGC policy? Is SGC now including the reason a card has been deemed AUTH and not assigned a numerical grade? This is the first I've seen of this. If this is the new policy then I applaud SGC for their efforts and innovation. It's about time a grading service stepped up to the plate and hit one out of the park. Thanks SGC (if this is now a policy and not a mistake). See the auction below and look at the scan of the card in the item description.<br /><br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-T205-GOLD-BORDER-TY-COBB-POLAR-BEAR-SGC-AUTHENTIC_W0QQitemZ280071474312QQihZ018QQcategoryZ 57993QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-T205-GOLD-BORDER-TY-COBB-POLAR-BEAR-SGC-AUTHENTIC_W0QQitemZ280071474312QQihZ018QQcategoryZ 57993QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

Archive
01-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Posted By: <b>JK</b><p>I hope this is the new standard. If so - outstanding decision - once again, SGC is out ahead of the pack.

Archive
01-18-2007, 04:03 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>That is an innovative step in the right direction, and SGC should be applauded for it. They do seem to be ahead of the other major grading services.

Archive
01-18-2007, 04:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>I have a card from GAI that has the same information on it in regards to the card being trimmed and receiving the authentic grade, so this is not exclusive to SGC unless GAI stopped doing it.

Archive
01-18-2007, 06:20 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...a large (200) T206 card submission from SGC. I had 4 or 5 returned in AUTH holders. Two or three of them had an explanation (color added), but the others didn't -- and I think the issue was trimming, which, perhaps, SGC thought was obvious (even if I hadn't caught it before submission). <br /><br />Still, it is a step in the right direction and may help to keep these kinds of cards out of "raw" circulation, where buyer after buyer would still be duped. <br /><br />And, yes, I believe GAI started it.

Archive
01-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>I find it curious that when GAI began grading cards as "authentic" there was an angry buzz about the practice from some here but when SGC does it, it is an innovative step forward....

Archive
01-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I erroneously credited SGC with the innovation because I am less familiar with GAI graded cards. But I think a previous board survey showed that SGC is favored among vintage collectors by a wide margin.

Archive
01-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>SGC has been slabbing cards AUTH for over a year, maybe two. When they did it originally, and at times since, there has been an "angry buzz" about the legitimization of altered cards by this process. It is not a criticism unique to GAI.<br /><br />This thread is merely about the addition of an explanation for the AUTH on some SGC holders.

Archive
01-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Ok, I thought the thread was more about SGC's grading cards as authentic rather than the delineation about why the card was authentic. Just for the record I use SGC about 70% of the time and exclusively for the larger cards like Zeenuts because I prefer their holders to the license plate style GAI uses.

Archive
01-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>I sure wish SGC made boxes that easily held their cards, much like what PSA does. It would make liking SGC a lot easier.

Archive
01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>So does this mean they will slab skinned OJ's?