PDA

View Full Version : Didn't pass the sniff test?

Archive
12-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Posted By: <b>Steve M.</b><p>Didn't know that SGC smells the cards.<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Vintage-Baseball-Card-T206-Mattern-Boston_W0QQitemZ170062602180QQihZ007QQcategoryZ868 40QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Vintage-Baseball-Card-T206-Mattern-Boston_W0QQitemZ170062602180QQihZ007QQcategoryZ868 40QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

Archive
12-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>SGC was quoted in "something other than water" does that not make soaking in water O.K. ????<br /><br />I think that pretty much defines there standing on the matter.<br /><br />Scott

Archive
12-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe D.</b><p>thats not necessarily what SGC is saying.<br /><br />I can't answer for them....<br /><br />but - I can think of a bunch of innocent reasons why water might come into contact with a card.<br /><br />cleaning agents yielding a pristine looking card is another story altogether. <br /><br /><br />so maybe their tolerance level for evidence of water touching a card.... and their tolerance level for evidence of a cleaning agent touching a card is different -<br /><br />and I think that is reasonable.<br /><br />just my opinion.<br />

Archive
12-21-2006, 07:09 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...and when I saw that it had received 202 visits since I listed it, I suspected there might be a discussion about it here.<br /><br />I purchased two nice raw Polar Bears (Mattern and Latham) a couple of years ago -- I don't recall if I got them on ebay or at the Gloria Rothstein show in White Plains. In any event, when I tried to get them graded a few months later, they came back with "soaking, cleaning" on the label. <br /><br />I was confused because I had never had a problem with soaking in water. I brought the Mattern and Latham to an SGC table in White Plains and spoke with one of their senior graders. I told him that I had never had a problem with soaking cards in water, and asked him what they had found here. <br /><br />He said something other than water had been used. And, in fact, he did smell the cards to see if he could detect bleach. He could not smell bleach specifically, and I could not either, but he said that some sort of chemical had been used. When you hold the cards under a bright light, the purple in the Polar Bear back looks a little shinier than usual. <br /><br />For the record, I did interpret my conversation with SGC on these cards as "water okay - chemicals bad" -- a philosophy I already held. Which is not to say that SGC specifically endorses water soaked cards, as much as they either (a) cannot detect such manner of soaking; or (b) are okay with such manner of soaking.<br /><br />Obviously, I disclosed SGC's opinion on this cards in my listing.

Archive
12-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave G</b><p>Obviously neither SGC nor PSA worry too much about water stained or whatever cards, as I have seen many Baseball cards slabbed that bear water stains....<br /><br />But it is funny to watch people sniffing apparently clean cards..........maybe there is something in the cards that gives them a high?

Archive
12-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>Guys,<br /><br />At least SGC is trying to do their job. If the card had been sent to PSA instead, who knows what they would have done.<br /><br />Peter