PDA

View Full Version : SGC Collectors.

Archive
11-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Posted By: <b>MikeU</b><p>For those SGC Collectors that have been too cheap to sign up for VintageCardPrices.com, you are in luck. <br /><br /><a href="http://www.vintagecardprices.com/sgc/" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.vintagecardprices.com/sgc/</a>

Archive
12-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>I nearly missed this post -- thanks for the link. Pretty innovative approach...

Archive
12-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...what if they took your Set Registry Data and linked it for you, so you don't have to type in the same info twice? Why not?

Archive
12-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Posted By: <b>Griffin's</b><p>T206- I would bet on that happening sooner rather than later. They are moving forward rapidly.

Archive
12-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>I did log on last night, it seems pretty sophisticated. However, it is slightly limited without paying for the VIP membership since there have been no SGC sales of quite a few of my cards. Still, a very nice idea and one worth following up on.

Archive
12-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Posted By: <b>John J. Grillo</b><p>Created my account yesterday, but I noticed more work needs to be done on vintage boxing (sets, variations, etc). I do like the site and I think the concept is a great idea.

Archive
12-02-2006, 07:11 AM
Posted By: <b>JK</b><p>And who was it that said SGC wasnt innovative? What a great idea.

Archive
12-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>Leon,<br /><br />Just want to let you know I had nothing to do with this thread so you don't need to call me.<br /><br />Bobby

Archive
12-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>The thread has been going for 2 days.....If I had an issue you would have heard from me by now. ....I am sure your service will appeal to a lot of people and partnering with SGC is a good thing..Good luck and take care

Archive
12-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...is searching the SGC Auction Prices by Grade, which will list all the results in a set for the grade you choose. So, I chose SGC 60 and T206 and I came up with a huge list, most recent first, of the SGC 60's that have sold. I was able to spot a few values, like this auction -- what a steal for that purchaser!<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170040723678" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170040723678</a><br /><br />

Archive
12-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>Leon,<br /><br />Thanks for the support and I figured you knew and let it fly.<br /><br />Bobby

Archive
12-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Posted By: <b>E, Daniel</b><p>Is there any chance you are considering creating the option to actually upload images/scans of one's own cards to the 'my collection' section, instead of using default images?<br />It would be nice to have a place in cyberspace where one could keep and update your collection, have it's market value reasonably established and easily accessed (not just reliant on the vagaries of one's hard drive, or the possibility of such information being stolen by thieves), and lastly......<br />Just as I think the partnership with SGC is a terrifc one, I was just thinking that a similar partnership with a group like Collectibles Insurance Agency (<a href="http://www.collectinsure.com/?src=overture" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.collectinsure.com/?src=overture</a>) would be incredibly synergystic.<br />Not only could a link be available to their services, but it would be so much easier for them as the insurer and oneself as the collector to keep track of items being insured, have images safely stored for use of recovery by police, and a very accurate market idea of value to work on should the worst happen and ones collection was lost or destroyed......., <br />I know you weren't all that impressed with my suggestion that your prices were a touch high (I emailed your site yesterday to which you very promptly replied), but I thought I'd throw you this freebie idea regardless, for whatever it's worth.<br /><br />All the best<br />Daniel

Archive
12-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>I think your link idea to the insurance company is a great idea and something we will investigate. As far as uploading your own images is a touchy area a lot of people don't want others to know. And the ones that do create there own websites to show off there collections. We are going to be adding a blog system to our site where all the members can create their own pages and put up card images if they so choose. This will be in place very soon.

Archive
12-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Posted By: <b>E, Daniel</b><p>I wasn't aware other people could access one's own 'my collection' section...don't you need to log in with your own password etc. to gain access to such information?<br /><br />daniel

Archive
12-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>Only the members have access to their collections nobody else can see it except them. I can't even view it...

Archive
12-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Posted By: <b>E, Daniel</b><p>in reference to uploading you're own pictures to the "my collection" section, how would anyone else know, and why would it be a "touchy area a lot of people don't want others to know"<br /><br />daniel

Archive
12-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p>Questions and commnents about the site. Do you have to logon to SGC site 1st? Also, I attempted to signup and took forever so I gave up. Is the site actually free for collectors with SGC ID's<br /><br />Thanks joe<br><br>Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Archive
12-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>You need to sign up separately from SGC for a guest account, and then as a guest you get to see sales histories of SGC graded cards only. If you want to see PSA and GAI and BVG histories, you have to sign up for the VIP account.<br /><br />It's useful free, especially if you only collect SGC, but you cannot look at comparable PSA sales without VIP access.<br /><br />

Archive
12-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p>Thanks, I'll try again.<br /><br />Joe<br><br>Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Archive
12-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>In order to sign up as an SGC member it can only be done through the SGC site <br /><br /><a href="http://www.sgccard.com/index.php" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.sgccard.com/index.php</a><br /><br />This takes you to a landing page on our site where you can join and get access to all of the price data for SGC cards which at present is about 24,000 transaction or 11.5% of our total database.<br /><br />In "My Collection" you can only enter SGC graded cards and not the other three companies.<br /><br />All other features are the same as the VIP service with the only thing other not available is the "Search Assistant" which tracks the last 5 places you where at with short cuts back.<br /><br />If you want to be able to access the enite site and prices you can click on "Upgrade to VIP" here it will give you all prices as well as let you add all grading types to your collection.<br /><br />We had a great time at the Reading show with the SGC gang and think they are a great group and we are honored they choose us to do this deal to bring all of you some valuable information and tools to your hobby. Of course we hope that you like the service and upgrade to the full version and use it's information to buy and sell wisely.

Archive
12-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>Bobby,<br /><br />I thought you should know that I really enjoy your product. It nicely and neatly packages former ebay listings (and, to a much lesser extent, other auction houses) to provide perhaps the most accurate and up-to-date price guide ever invented for baseball cards. <br /><br />Given that an abbreviated history of auction listings is available for free on ebay, however, I do not think that the price you offer for the VIP service is warranted. If I were a dealer that was buying and selling cards every day, it would be a must-have system woth $100 a year. But for the casual to moderately fiendish collector of T206 cards, the price point you have chosen is too steep for my blood, again, given the free availability of recent auction histories on ebay. Moreover, while you will no doubt gain additional eyes by providing the SGC information for free, there will be even less reason for people to pay for the service. Indeed, there is quite a step up in price from free for (a) ebay completed auction short history & SGC full history; to $100.00 a year for (b) full ebay and PSA/SGC/GAI/BVG history.<br /><br />My recommendation would be to consider it a magazine subscription -- plenty of people have paid, would pay and do pay $1.00 to $5.00 a month for a monthly price guide in magazine format. Your information is clearly superior to the information offered in, say, a Beckett Baseball Card Monthly. But, again, I believe you are pricing yourself out of the market. Especially considering this is a new service.<br /><br />I know these issues have been bandied about before, but now that you have made a large segment of the machinery available to us SGC users, I thought it deserved a fresh round of discussion.<br /><br />Paul

Archive
12-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Posted By: <b>sagard</b><p>I suspect vcp is doing fine and has plenty of people who are willing to pay the $10. I'd like it to be cheaper as well, but if your card budget is reasonably large it will pay for itself in savings.

Archive
12-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p>I guess I'll try again later or tomorrow. For some reason whenever I atttempt to even go to the site, I get kicked right out of the internet and have to logon again. I do have dial up, but all the other sites work fine.<br /><br />Joe<br><br>Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Archive
12-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>Thanks for the comments and there has been a flurry of activity on the site and membership has greatly increased. The buzz going around the hobby has been great and we have signed up several auction houses to do our want list feature. The first one we will be live for is the Mile High auction starting on 12/27 and the links to the auctions will remain live in our database for you to see the same way it is for all the eBay results.<br /><br />We feel that the price structure is very fair and reasonable I can't begin to tell you how many times members have told me that they have saved money on buying and selling cards because of the site. Just this week end at the Reading show a member bought a 34 Goudey Foxz in SGC 88 for $16,500 we looked up on the site and there where 3 sales in PSA 8 that sold for 12/9/05 $12,283.50 3/30/06 $14,624.50 5/21/06 $7611.00 he could of used this information to get the seller to come down in his price by a few $1000 and the membership would of paid for itself for the next 20-40 years. We are provided verified data with links that can be used to negotiate deals that will save you money.

Archive
12-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>I am sure you have run the numbers to determine your price threshold. My only point was made by your example -- now that you offer free SGC card values, your friend who purchased the SGC 88 1934 Goudey Foxx would not have needed to pay for his membership to save any money. Also, if a comparably graded Foxx had sold on ebay in the past few weeks, a quick check of ebay's completed items folder would have given him an understanding of the most recent sales of that card. Moreover, for the collector that is dropping thousands or dealer that is selling thousands, this site is an absolute must for this cost -- it obviously makes total sense. But for those of us that spend a few hundred a month, or less, it provides a useful tool as a free SGC service, with little or no incentive to upgrade to VIP membership. <br /><br />Finally, I hope that my comments do not detract from my 100% endorsement of your site as the most accurate baseball card price guide in history. I was merely offering you one collector's opinion to use as you may (or not) in going forward.<br /><br />

Archive
12-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>T206,<br /><br />Yes you can use the eBay service but in the case of the SGC card there where no sales available on eBay to compare or previous SGC records.<br /><br />SGC sales only make up 11.5% of the total price data on the site and you being a collector spending just a couple hundred a month would be able to make up the $9.99 month fee I would guarantee in the knowledge that you would get from the site.

Archive
12-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>Indeed, I've already saved money using your site, foregoing an SGC 60 card that was selling for $120 because I saw that a similar one sold a month ago for $80. So you've saved me $40 so far. <br /><br />Since SGC is well-entrenched in the T206 market on ebay, your site is currently serving my needs perfectly. In the event I expand my collecting horizons, I am sure that the monthly fee will be worth it.<br /><br />Congrats again on a great site!