PDA

View Full Version : Colgan's - Trimming?

Archive
11-10-2006, 04:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Mohler</b><p>This might be a stupid question....but is trimming an issue with Colgans? I though I might try to pick up a few on the Bay, but many of them are ungraded and I don't have any experience with these cards.<br /><br />Jeff

Archive
11-10-2006, 05:37 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>From my experience I have never seen one be trimmed. I am sure some might have been but this must be a series with almost the least trimming ever, due to their size from the factory. Trimming in the early days was done to fit in folders/sleeves and then, of course, after that to make the corners sharper. I have never seen a sharp corner (except on the "proofs") on a Colgans. Always try to buy from reputable folks and you should be very safe on these..Maybe someone else will have different experiences?..Good luck...they are neat little cards...

Archive
11-10-2006, 05:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>and other than some factory stuff where there is a flat edge cutting some of circular side off, I've not seen any issues with trimming. Think it would just be too hard to get a perfect circular type trim and therefore more easy to spot. The biggest problem, due to the paper, is creasing and chipping on the Red Borders on the back. Seems like PSA and SGC give quite a bit of leeway on that chipping because I've seen stuff with 4's and 5's have quite a bit of chipping.<br />

Archive
11-10-2006, 05:57 AM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Hey there, Jeff.<br /><br />Some folks think you should always buy slabbed cards. I'm not in that camp. Unslabbed are less unafordable, easier to store, and you can touch them which helps ascertain authenticity, if you know what you're looking at. Sometimes slabbed cards are incorrectly labeled. I've heard of a 1952 Mantle that was soaked and fell into 2 halves, but Elmers Glue got it back together and it's in an SGC 40 holder...<br /><br />To answer your question, I've not encountered a trimmed E254 or E270 Colgans card. It would be extremely difficult to trim a round card. I think you could bid without great concern, and maybe you should ascertain a return policy before bidding. Even on graded cards.<br /><br />Do you already have any Colgans cards??? If not, buy a couple, just so you get a feel, both figuratively and literally, for what you're getting into.<br /><br />As I recall, a Louisville Ky pharmacist who had a drug store bought a bunch of chicle, I'm thinking a railroad car full, that was available at a rediculously low price, where it was ordered out of South America but the deal fell threw. He bought it merely because it was almost free. Then he tinkered around attempting various things with it. When he added flavoring and offered it as something that could be chewed, that is when he started making money on it. Mint flavor was the best seller, followed by violet. Round disks of gum, offered for sale in a small tin. He added little photos of baseball players, who were available for several years. Naturally, the cards depict several Loisville players, along with major league players and some in the American Association.<br /><br />So buy a few, get a copy of Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedia that deals with the issue, and have fun chasing them!<br /><br />Frank.