PDA

View Full Version : A Great Book on Rube Waddell

Archive
11-04-2006, 06:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Cy</b><p>I just read a terrific book on the life of Rube Waddell. The story is priceless and the writing is superb. I am not a great reader and the writing was very fluid. I just thought I would offer this since many ask about good books on Pre-War baseball.<br /><br />Here is a link to Amazon.com if you would like to buy it.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.amazon.com/Rube-Waddell-Brilliant-Strikeout-Artist/dp/0786407867/sr=8-1/qid=1162565769/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0181625-8010359?ie=UTF8&s=books" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/Rube-Waddell-Brilliant-Strikeout-Artist/dp/0786407867/sr=8-1/qid=1162565769/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0181625-8010359?ie=UTF8&s=books</a><br /><br /><br />Sincerely,<br /><br />Cy

Archive
11-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Posted By: <b>Mike Campbell</b><p>I read this book back in about 2000 or so. About when it came out. I recommend it also. The writing is decent. The subject matter of course is interesting. Many Biographies tend to be a bit stiff, and wooden. But the personality involved makes this one the better ones I have ever read. Quite the character, he was. If only half of what is said about him is true, it still makes him one of the oddest ducks ever to play baseball. Anyone into Bio's will find it very fun to read.<br /><br />

Archive
11-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Al C.risafulli</b><p>WOW.<br /><br />Rube is my favorite prewar player, and I didn't even know this book existed. Thanks for posting this, Cy. I'm buying it today!<br /><br />-Al

Archive
11-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Posted By: <b>S Gross</b><p>Waddell is great.<br />I remember reading in an old SABR article (and I mean old, back in the Rucker/Thorne early '80's days) that suggested that Waddell had Down's syndrome. It pointed to some Mongoloid features (there's your politically incorrect statement of the day); the fact he was easily distracted by opposing players showing him five & dime trinkets; famous for chasing fire trucks with other neighborhood childern; dying relatively early of pneumonia. Maybe someone out there can come up with the article. Not that I fully accept the theory, but it was interesting ..... and I'm just happy I can remeber something from 25 years ago ....

Archive
11-05-2006, 03:54 AM
Posted By: <b>Zach S.</b><p>I'm reading this book... about half way through it and so far it's great. Rube is one of my favorite all-time players and he was quite a character to say the least. What's so great about Rube is that he played for no other reason than he loved playing baseball.