PDA

View Full Version : A bit O/T - but Vintage Related

Archive
10-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike Campbell</b><p>Does anyone remember the guy who was supposedly investing money for his clients and instead bought hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions of dollars, of antique baseball memorabilia. If I recall he had many original vintage jerseys and bats of Ruth etc, etc. This took place like 15 years ago or so, and the story was on 60 minutes and such I believe.. He had the stough stored and then died I believe. I know there was quite a search for the items. But the last I recall it has never been found. Does anyone recall this story, and has any of the valuable items ever turned up? And if so, what were some of the more valuable things? I was thinking about that today, and was just curious.<br /><br />

Archive
10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p>Here is a text about the story you are asking for -- <br /><br /><br />Rose confided that he had sold his famous jewel-encrusted Hickock Belt, given to him as Sports Player of the Year, to a baseball collector named Dennis Walker. Walker later turned up dead in a Las Vegas hotel, his body badly decomposed. According to Janszen, Rose said Walker paid him $20,000 cash for the belt and bought a lot of other memorabilia. Janszen remembers that Walker also supposedly gave Rose a bank certificate drawn on an offshore South Pacific bank, so it would not be traced as income to Rose. A twist to the Walker story is that much of the baseball memorabilia collected by him over the years, including the Rose items, disappeared after Walker's death. In the summer of 1987, Rose sent Janszen to New York in an aborted attempt to retrieve part of the collection. In 1988, the syndicated television series "Unsolved Mysteries" contacted Janszen to see if Rose would do an interview on the missing memorabilia. Janszen remembers Rose's response: "Hell, I don't want to do that show, Paul. They'll start digging and find out I got paid cash for some of that stuff. That'll bring the IRS on me<br />

Archive
10-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Bruce Babcock</b><p>"Walker later turned up dead in a Las Vegas hotel, his body badly decomposed."<br /><br />What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas . . . but one would think that even in Vegas they clean the rooms once in a while. <br /><br />How long does it take for a body to become "badly decomposed?"

Archive
10-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike campbell</b><p>Thats right, now I recall more of it. What is the difference between decomposed, and badly decomposed ?<br /><br />Have any of the items surfaced? <br /><br />Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.<br /><br />

Archive
10-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>It's possible his body had been decomposing for quite some time before he died.