PDA

View Full Version : making my first PSA submission...

Archive
10-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Brueso</b><p>I know, I know- I've read the debates back and forth...but it's for 50s and later cards (the deadball ones were sent to SGC).<br /><br />But I'm surprised PSA wants cards submitted in their soft 'card saver' holders. They say its because screwtops and top loaders 'allow movement during shipping'- that may be, though I think the soft card savers offer less protection against bent corners during shipping if package contents get jarred enough to move.

Archive
10-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Kyle</b><p>There's a lot of liabilities when sending in screw cases. The case can crack and damage the card, the card can fall out when unscrewed.<br /><br />The Card Savers are nice because I picture PSA slicing them open to remove the card, rather than reaching in with their fingers to grab them. <br /><br />-Kyle-

Archive
10-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Posted By: <b>t-205</b><p>what i do is put a sleeve in with the top loader and it doent move, i hate the card savers. to flimsy for my liking..<br />just my 2 cents

Archive
10-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Posted By: <b>MikeW</b><p>What I hate most about the card savers is: I feel I run the risk of bending or damaging the card just putting it in... I never thought of PSA slicing it down the side, but imagined them having the same trouble taking the card out as I did getting it in.<br /><br />I'm I the only one that has received a card back (sometimes with a lower grade than expected) with some sort of "NEW" damage? A bent corner, etc.?

Archive
10-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Brueso</b><p>well, I have always kept an inner sleeve with a hard plastic top loader, but they say they don't want top loaders.

Archive
10-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>Brueso,<br /><br />When I ship cards to sgc or psa, I put them in the card saver or in a top loader an penny sleeve and then sandwich the card between two pieces of thick cardboard to prevent any damage during shipping. Havent had any problems.

Archive
10-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>MikeW,<br />You are not the only one. I have had a couple cards come back with new wrinkles. I sent in a nm/mt T206 George Davis that came back PSA 4. It has two new wrinkles coming down from the top boarder. I imagine they are on opposite sides of where the grader grabbed the card to pull it out of the topholder. I absolutely know those wrinkles were not there when I submitted the card.<br />JimB

Archive
10-13-2006, 06:22 AM
Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>I received 20 cards back Tues., 2 with obvious new damage, 1 a badly dinged corner which was not on the card when I cracked it out of the GAI holder and the other WHICH GRADED 6, had a small but glaringly obvious corner tip crease which was not present when sent in. Given the grade one would assume it got damaged between grading and encapsulation. <br /><br />As to the post about cutting the semi rigid open, they don't, I feal this is where some damage may come from, I always used to penny sleeves inside the card saver, thinking this would make it safer, But I now think they make it harder for them to get the card in and out and are probably hurrying much faster than the owner of the card would..<br /><br />As usual the grades were pragmatic, some overgraded, some undergraded. Sometimes it's really hard to beleive the same person could have looked at the 20 cards and deduced the grades, I think they must split up some submissions.<br /><br />Scott

Archive
10-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Posted By: <b>Brueso</b><p>I can understand them not wanting screwdowns or those small two piece hard plastic containers- those can be difficult to open. But to not allow top loaders? They protect against that potential corner dinging and so long as you hold onto the inner sleeve when moving the card out, it's pretty easy to get them out. One card I am having graded is a Willie Mays auto card that is somewhat thicker cause it has a small piece of Candlestick Park in it- it won't fit in a card saver without messing up the corners. I decided on that one I was going to put it between two top loaders and then between two larger pieces of cardboard- that has got to be acceptable to them. Maybe I'll do all the cards that way.<br /><br />Allowing top loaders is certainly another reason to go with SGC instead.

Archive
10-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>I would go with sgc simply because they will take better care of your cards - I wont say its never happened, but Ive certainly never had any cards graded by sgc come back with damage that wasnt already present. <br /><br />I would also add that its a good idea to scan your cards b/f sending them to any grading company - that way, if something does happen, you have some proof as to the condition b/f they were sent.

Archive
10-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>The last card Mike Wheat shipped to me was in a penny sleeve in a soft card saver, then that was loaded open end first into a larger rigid top loader. Quite a secure seeming package.