PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Cory Lidle Apparently Killed in Crash

Archive
10-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>At 2:30 this afternoon a private plane crashed into a building on East 72nd Street in NYC. It appears that Yankee pitcher Cory Lidle was the pilot and was killed in the crash. As a sidenote, Bruce Dorskind lives across the street from the accident. News is coming in by the minute.

Archive
10-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...and my window on the 34th floor faces northeast, so I have been seeing quite a few helicopters in the area and hearing lots of fire and police emergency vehicles driving by. It was a little unsettling and conjurs memories of both 9/11 and Thurman Munson.

Archive
10-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Posted By: <b>T E</b><p>Yes, it is true, and at least three other people died in crash, which blew out at least two apartments at 40th floor, sad

Archive
10-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>i didn't think you could fly (small)aircraft in this area? (over NYC)

Archive
10-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>Same thing... I'm here on the 40th floor of the AXE building on 51st and 6th. I could see the smoke and helicopters over the site right around 3pm. Sad news.

Archive
10-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>That's a good point that was brought up by Governor Pataki. The plane left Teterboro airport in New Jersey, circled the Statue of Liberty (that too should have been a no fly zone) and headed north up the East River. It lost control about 59th Street, started to veer to the left and crashed on 72nd Street. Sotheby's is also around the corner from the accident.

Archive
10-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Posted By: <b>T E</b><p>Lidle was on WFAN in NY with Mike and the Mad Dog the other day. They grilled him about some comment he made after the playoff loss. Lidle had actually called them up to rebut something they'd said about him. Guess that is one interview they may not be so proud of now...

Archive
10-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>A little morbid but...I just went to look up Lidle's stats and bio on Baseball-Reference.com and they already have his date of death in the bio....<br /><br />Rob M.

Archive
10-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>I too have a view out of my office near 33rd Street in midtown and saw all the commotion. First, we worried about the possibility of terrorism, then we heard about Lidle. This is indeed a very sad day.....

Archive
10-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>husband of a friend of a friend plowed his plane into a building. What a sad, stupid way to go...

Archive
10-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Lichtman</b><p>This was a crazy day in NYC. I was driving back into Manhattan from court in Connecticut today and instead of listening to the news I had on a Clash CD - only to get a barrage of text messages, emails, etc. that there was a plane crash near my apt. I turned on the radio to hear that the crash had occurred 2 blocks away. For about 15 seconds I was dreading the worst and feeling awful because we are moving on Monday morning to a new place. Needless to say, it's a zoo here (again) but on the 9/11 scale if that was a 10, this is about one tenth of 1 point.

Archive
10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>Aug 1979.....Thurman Munson's training jet crashes with his trainer besides him.<br /><br />Today Cory Lidle's training plane crashes with his trainer besides him.

Archive
10-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>There are eerie similarities for sure. Yankee fans hardly knew Lidle, as he was with them for just a little more than a month. But it seems like he was a fun loving guy, and it is just very sad when you hear he had a six year old son. What I want to know, and others I'm sure feel this way too, is how did he get into this air space? Apparently he was taking a flying lesson and sight seeing at the same time. Who takes a flying lesson through a congested area like Manhattan, not to mention in the bad weather we are having today? That just doesn't make sense. It seems like this tragedy should have been avoided.

Archive
10-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>Barry, <br />you are absolutely right. I thought all of NYC airspace was restricted. What prevents someone from taking a turn into the UN building? The more I thought about this, the more confused (and sadder) I became. Definitely thought about Thurman today....

Archive
10-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p> If theres anything good to come out of this its the good people of ebay that couldnt sell a Lidle baseball last week for $7 are now able to sell them for between $150-250 and his rookie cards are now worth over 100x more than this morning. All 500+ new Lidle items on ebay(compared to less than 100 the last month total) will help people sleep better at night knowing they have more money thanks to this tragedy.If only more celebs could have untimely deaths ebay would be crawling with millionaires<br /><br /><br /> wow i think i just used up all my sarcasm for a few weeks.

Archive
10-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>This is truly, truly sad for me having met Cory a couple times. <br />He was always cordial and a normal guy. <br /><br />When his name was announced to the media, there were six items on eBay, one autograph. Now there are over 400+ and over 100 autographs, most of the signatures offered, the ink is fresh if you know what I mean. Truly sad. Some baseballs are selling for as much as $250 and it's simply sickening. <br /><br />Very sad day...<br /><br />DJ

Archive
10-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>why didnt he use his parachute, he was equipped. Also, I wonder<br />if his passenger had a parachute as well. I guess he wouldnt of jumped and leave the passenger alone if not equipped too.<br /><br />Very odd and sad.

Archive
10-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Posted By: <b>edacra</b><p>I'm surprised I haven't heard more theories leaning towards this being a suicide type of thing. It's such a strange incident.

Archive
10-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>The passenger is reported to be a flight instructor. This is a truly sad and bizzare incident.

Archive
10-13-2006, 05:04 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>It doesn't surprise me that ebay is flooded with Lidle items. There are always people who will try to profit on tragedies. Remember when ebay had to ban the sale of 9/11 mementoes shortly after the attacks?

Archive
10-13-2006, 05:46 AM
Posted By: <b>T E</b><p>The plane was outfitted with a parachute, not the pilots. If plane is out of control you can eject parachute which will land plane safely. In such circumstances plane is total loss, at least according to expert I saw on Oberman show. Lidel had just laid out near 200K for this baby, which could have led to a momentary pause before taking action. Since distress signal went out almost as plane was crashing, it is a moment they did not have...<br /><br />It is bizarre that plane turned west over Manhattan. If he is flying north over East River and plane was in trouble, you would stay over the river and keep heading north then veer east to hit LaGuardia or that other airfield up there. Why turn in over Manhattan when you have the river beneath you? Unless they made the turn first and then something dramatic went wrong.

Archive
10-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>How re-assuring that despite what happened five short years ago, random aircraft are allowed to fly around populated areas without detection. Just another sad example of kneejerk reactions (e.g. not allowing toothpaste on airplanes), when the bigger problems remain unaddressesd. Had their been proper detection (for "national security" issues or otherwise), this tragedy could have potentially been prevented.

Archive
10-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>From what I heard Lidle's plane flew around the Statue of Liberty, and as I recall one of the changes made after the 9/11 attacks was that private planes couldn't go anywhere near national monuments. From yesterday's incident it does seem that a terrorist could fly a small plane with a dirty bomb directly into a Manhattan building. Corey Lidle tragically proved this to be true. Who is watching our safety?

Archive
10-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>Good question. I think the folks in D.C. are more concerned with polls than they are with truly protecting their constituency. Sad.

Archive
10-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>barry...i just spoke to my aunt who lives in staten island and she said she sees little planes flying around the SOL all of the time...for tourists kinda like the circle line of the sky! I would have thought that should/would have been restricted as well.<br /><br />pete in mn