PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Problem - What would you do?

Archive
10-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>I won a nice looking PC-796 Plank postcard on ebay (link attached) two weeks ago for about $275. The seller will only take a check or money order - no paypal. I sent a money order to the seller on September 19th. He still has not received it. The seller (ridgerunr) has very good feedback, but isnt someone who I have ever done business with before or recognize as a board member. I am reluctant to send a second check/mo as the post office will not issue a refund on my original mo for a minimum of 60 days (that, of course, is assuming I get a refund in the first place - if the check was received and cashed by someone who was not intended to be the recipient, I dont think that the PO will refund my money). Would you send a second payment? How would you otherwise resolve this if it happened to you? This is the first time one of my payments was not rec'd by the seller and I really dont want to end up paying double for the card, but I could end up out the money and the card if I dont go through with the sale.<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260030478449&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEAFB%3AIT&rd=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260030478449&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEAFB%3AIT&rd=1</a>

Archive
10-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>did you have a conversation with the seller? if not, i would actually try to talk to him over the phone, listen to his voice, feel him out, make sure you trust what he is saying (whether he recieved the check or not)...you can tell a lot by listening to someone's voice, i can't stand just sending emails back and forth, it is way too cold, i like actually speaking to a human, same goes for my banking, or anything related to customer service.<br /><br />so, has that happened yet?

Archive
10-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Posted By: <b>James Feagin</b><p>I'm learning that with any check to send it in a bubble mailer and send it delivery conf. It's just a smarter way to go.

Archive
10-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>I think (some) bank money orders take less time to trace/refund, etc. and I believe they have a stop-payment- type feauture on them. So send him a bank MO this time and yes, talk to him. eBay has a feature wherein you can access a seller's phone #, etc.

Archive
10-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>his feedback is exemplory. so, i wouldn't worry too much.<br /><br />i shipped a package on 9-11 that delivered on 9-30, so i wouldn't be surprised to see payment show up in the next week or so.<br /><br />call him and see if he will be patient with you (i'm betting he will). let him know that you sent money order on 9-18 from xxxx (chase, postal, etc.) and that you can provide a copy of the receipt. <br /><br />and then i would check with whomever you purchased the money order from to see if it has been cashed. <br /><br />as long as you communicate well, ther should be a problem....just a "snail mail" delay. <br /><br />good luck, josh.

Archive
10-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>Thanks for the responses thus far - to answer some questions:<br /><br />1. Have not spoken to him directly - but I have exchanged several emails. <br />2. The MO came from the post office - so their stop payment feature and trace feature will take 60 days and there is no guarantee that I will be reimbursed if I stop payment.<br />3. I have not stopped payment yet as the check may still show up and I wanted to give it a few more days.

Archive
10-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe D.</b><p>Money Order stop takes forever by the Post Office.<br /><br />Its a tough situation... and I can't see any great answer.<br /><br />If the seller has patience (and believes you), you could both wait it out. <br /><br />Or if you trust the seller enough, send a check. If the original money order makes it to the seller, you chance that he would keep both payments. But if you trust him to refund one of the payments... maybe that is your best bet. <br /><br /><br />I will say... those postcards are nice! Great item. Hope it gets resolved and you get your card soon.

Archive
10-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>i would not stop payment....you may create more issues than you already have.<br /><br />i would call him and explain, (or better email him and ask him to call you)....see if he will be patient.....and then play the waiting game. <br /><br />mail is sometimes funny, in that most packages will deliver in two days....but some take thirty days. <br /><br />if he hasn't received payment after thirty days, then i would issue another payment.<br /><br />also, can you check a postal money order on-line?

Archive
10-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>I no longer do business with sellers who require money orders, and I dissuade buyers sending them to me. The reasons cited on this thread are enough, but I also had the following situation occur: <br /><br />buyer sent me a money order and I did not receive it. So I did not mail the package. <br />The buyer checked with the Post Office and they told him that it had been cashed! <br />I told him to send an affidavit to the post office stating that it wasn't his signature. <br />The post office said that they did not care - regardless of who signed for it, they weren't going to reimburse him.<br /><br />The buyer was a decent guy and I had no reason to doubt his word.

Archive
10-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>Andy - you cant check a money order on line - all you can do is ask for an inquiry and stop payment (which they charge you for, by the way). <br /><br />Runscott - couldnt agree more and Im afraid that is what is going to happen to me. <br /><br />The seller is being patient for the time being but wont wait 60 days.

Archive
10-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>I get all my money orders from my bank (wells Fargo), I had one situation where the seller never received a money order. I was able to stop payment and they issued me a new one at no extra cost. <br /><br />I do all my banking with Wells and get alot of benefits not sure if this is one of them but it worked good for me.<br /><br />Lee

Archive
10-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>I have dealt with this seller successfully (so have a lot of people).<br />I have had two incidences of payment getting lost enroute to sellers. Both turned out well. - I don't know whether they eventually got the original payment and tore it up, or if they never got it. - I just know I did not get burned.<br /><br />When you are dealing with honest people, things work out somehow. The 1 transaction which I had with this seller does not yield conclusive evidence, but I think you may be on safe ground. Sorta.

Archive
10-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Brett</b><p>I sent cash for a card I won on ebay over a month ago with the address the seller provided. After 2 weeks, I got it back from the post office saying "Wrong Address" with a "X" through it... It was the correct address too, so its weird... <br /><br />Maybe you should give it another week and hopefully it will turn up in his hands or in yours.

Archive
10-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Gilbert - I agree completely. If you behave honestly and fairly, it comes around to you one way or another.