PDA

View Full Version : top dealers?

Archive
10-03-2006, 06:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>who are the top dealer sites to get pre-war cards in raw condition? prefferably a dealer that doesn't deal in graded cards, otherwise why in the world would they be selling a nice ungraded card unless something is wrong with it...

Archive
10-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Mohler</b><p>As a newer collector, I have purchased four or five ungraded items from Mike Wheat and found them to be accurately described.<br /><br />I imagine many dealers have graded and ungraded items in stock.

Archive
10-03-2006, 06:41 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Don't assume because a card is raw that it's got a problem other than normal wear. Of course most high end cards will be graded as they get more money that way but not all. I have many raw cards on my site, all guaranteed to grade numerically though, and I am sure it will continue that way. For cards under $100, or so, it often times doesn't make fiscal sense to get them graded. As for dealers with raw cards I will have to defer to looking through our links page or doing internet searches. Sometimes dealers have them in the ebay stores too. BTW, less than a year ago I bought a red T206 Cobby from Steve Verkman in auction. It was raw and described as vg-ex. It came back in a 5 holder when I sent it in. Don't count raw cards out just buy from folks that will give a guarantee of authenticity....

Archive
10-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Al C.risafulli</b><p>I can't say enough about the B/S/T forum on this board. There are so many collectors of raw prewar cards here - and while you always have to be careful when you buy from anyone, I would trust just about anyone here who's a frequent contributor. I've had multiple transactions from the B/S/T and all have been great.<br /><br />I would say the same for anyone here who has their own website where they make cards available for sale.<br /><br />And of course any dealer who contributes regularly to this board.<br /><br />-Al

Archive
10-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Sean</b><p>He has some nice T206's that are raw, his web-site is in the dealer link section. Kit Young's eBay page has a few, some are a bit over priced but they have great customer service and guarantee all their cards. <br /><br />Sean BH<br />

Archive
10-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Posted By: <b>dd</b><p>Mike Wheat<br />Kit Young<br />Wayne Varner<br />Steve Verkman<br />Bill Henderson<br />Beverly Hills Sportscards

Archive
10-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>luckeycards.com and Larry Fritsch actually has a pretty nice selection of raw Vintage.

Archive
10-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>I agree that Matt at Beverly Hills Sportscard often has a good inventory of raw pre-WWII stuff. I have known him for 20 years and he is a very honest, reliable guy.<br />JimB

Archive
10-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Mike Campbell</b><p>I had purchased two mid thirties Foxx cards (raw) from from one of the names mentioned by DD. Daren. Both cards had been trimmed. I submitted each twice, hoping they would slide through. No go. Still trimmed. I have the purchase receipt for proof. Everyone in the land thinks this dealer is great. maybe he just didn't know. I will never know. he also ignored an e mail. So I gave up. So I guess the lesson is....we all need to beware. I deal with one of the nations leading dealers, and he likes this dealer as well. So....caution should be had by all. The dealer that I mention (friend) who we all know, volunteered to talk to this dealer in my behalf. Not wanting to cause waves, I told him to forget it. I just won't deal with him anymore. No names are necessary.<br /><br />Had these two cards not been trimmed, they would have, or should have graded about a 5 or 6. Probably in the 6 range. <br /><br />

Archive
10-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian C.</b><p>Mark Macrae and Larry Fritsch are great guys with terrific inventory. I'd try them.

Archive
10-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>One of the keys is return policy. If a dealer allows you to return a card for refund if there is a legitimate problem, there isn't much risk for the buyer ... I assume most raw cards bought will be lower grade, not Gem Mint.<br /><br />A return policy like this also forces the dealer to describe the cards accurately, as he knows they can be returned if the descriptions are wrong.

Archive
10-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt E.</b><p><br /><br />Most people think it is based on volume and primarily it is. Regarding the sale of the card over the internet, like davidcycleback points out it is the ability to return a card. Also everything must work like clockwork once the payment is received from the buyer. Timely shipping, proper packaging, insured properly and of course delivery.<br /><br />Since most of the "top dealers" I deal with are at various card shows, they usually all have the same characteristics.<br /><br />1. Are they trustworthy?<br />2. Are they fair <br />3. Are they aware of market conditions?<br />4. They understand it is a two way street, buying and selling. (very important)<br />5. Have a consistent pre-war inventory<br />6. Ability to carry on an educational / historical conversation during the transaction.<br />7. Ability to establish a long term business relationship.<br /><br />I am sure there are more characteristics but these are just a few that I look for. Also I have found nothing but positive experiences and professionalism from our board members when it comes to the BST.<br />

Archive
10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>BMW Sportscards bar none!