PDA

View Full Version : Qualifiers = no Quality

Archive
10-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Anthony Clevamonte</b><p>To me, the grade a card achieves is secondary to its condition. By that I mean that I prefer a card which has wear consistent with the grade and the card exhibits an absence of "problems".<br /><br />I discussed this topic under an "eye appeal" topic header on 9/19, and found agreement (to a greater or lesser extent) from Scot Reader, tbob and James Gallo, in my opinion. By far the majority of respondents favor cards with great eye appeal, but back problems.<br /><br />I can appreciate the desire for cards which look good. And I can appreciate the fact that cards in top condition are costly. However, damage is damage. It makes little difference if the damage is writing, paper loss, staining, or other problems. When you show your high eye appeal card to another, they will notice it. Even if they are not collectors. THEY WILL NOTICE IT.<br /><br />So, fool them.<br /><br />Collect cards free from problems which are noticable. And select examples with tremendous eye appeal. Buy cards which will achieve an authentic holder only. It doesn't matter what is wrong. Just be sure that you can't tell - and don't ask!<br /><br />Imagine an entire set of cards with great eye appeal that has something wrong with each (maybe real, maybe imaginary) and you don't know what is wrong - and why care?<br /><br />This is not for me, nor Scot, tbob nor probably James Gallo. What do you think?<br /><br />Please tell me why clear back problems are preferable over unidentifiable problems.<br /><br />Maybe the Cleaver hasn't gotten 'em all!<br /><br />And even if so, what is so bad about indistinguishable trimming?<br /><br />