PDA

View Full Version : Topps Exceeds Expectations

Archive
09-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Posted By: <b>bruce Dorskind</b><p><br />Topps beats quarterly estimates on card sales<br />by David Jones<br /><br />Topps Co. reported a 31% drop in quarterly earnings but still beat Wall Street estimates. <br /><br />The Manhattan-based bubble gum and trading card maker earned $3.4 million, or 8 cents a share, in the second quarter ended Aug. 26, down from $4.8 million or 12 cents a share in the year-earlier period. <br /><br />Stronger sales from its U.S. trading card business helped lift revenue 9% to $82.3 million.<br /><br /><br />Excluding pre-tax charges of $2 million related to severance pay and the company's recent proxy fight, Topps earned 12 cents as share, exceeding Wall Street estimates of 8 cents a share. <br /><br />Topps said sales in its entertainment unit rose 30% to $42.5 million, as sales of U.S. trading cards increased "substantially," which more than offset declines in the firm's international publishing business and WizKids Inc. unit. <br /><br />Shares of Topps rose as much as 6% to $9.39 and were up 2.7% intraday.

Archive
09-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I think that it's good for the hobby for TOPPS to do good. However, I wonder how much of the increase in sales is due to MLB cancelling contracts with card mfg's a year or so ago?

Archive
09-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Posted By: <b>DR</b><p><a href="http://www.slate.com/id/2150516/?GT1=8592" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.slate.com/id/2150516/?GT1=8592</a><br /><br />''Upper management was a distant, nepotistic network descending from a mysterious, largely invisible septuagenarian CEO. Below that, departments feuded with other departments. Middle managers skirmished in snarky, caps-locked e-mails CC'd to higher-ups. "Good mornings" seethed with passive aggression.'' <br /><br /><br /><br><br>Thanks,<br />David<br /><br />BUY / SELL / TRADE -&gt; 1878 TO 1911 NON-SPORTS

Archive
09-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>I actually own one share of Topps stock that I got for a birthday present many many years ago...interesting to see the report.<br /><br />Joshua