PDA

View Full Version : Help with Player-Does he have a Card

Archive
09-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob C</b><p>My father has a retired physician friend whose name is Ed "Doc" Edelen. He pitched for Washington one year, 1932. Does anyone know if he has a card? Thanks for any help.

Archive
09-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Not as far as I can tell...at least not in any of the major sets. Did he have a son named Joe? Joe Edelen has a card in the 82 Fleer set.

Archive
09-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p> Theyre not related. Ed Edelen was only in the majors for 2 games,and they happened 2 days in a row at the age of 20,then he was done.Dont know if he has any cards tho.

Archive
09-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Nothing in my database, but it doesn't included anything larger than a postcard and there were many team issues in that era that were 5x7 and larger.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Archive
09-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob C</b><p>Thanks everyone for the feedback. If there are any team PC's out there (AKA needle in a haystack) I would be a buyer.<br />Wow only 2 games. That is a short career! He did say his family did not approve of baseball as his choice of profession. It just wasn't considered reputable back then.

Archive
09-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Posted By: <b>bobw</b><p>Did your Ed Edelen play baseball and basketball for Mount St Mary's in 1929 and 1930? If it is, I found some newspaper articles with that name but no pictures.

Archive
09-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob C</b><p>Bob,<br />YES he did! Is what you have scanable or can you send? I will gladly pay postage. Thanks very much.

Archive
09-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Posted By: <b>bobw</b><p>Here's how I found some articles.<br /><br />1 Click Here: <a href="http://www.probaseballarchive.com/AdvancedSearch.aspx" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.probaseballarchive.com/AdvancedSearch.aspx</a> <br />2 In the top search box ,type "Ed Edelen" <br />3 In the "Between Years" type the years you want to search between, I put between 1925 and 1935.<br />4 You will have to sift through all the results but you will find what you need.<br />5 Good Luck

Archive
09-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Lemke</b><p>According to the Standard Catalog, Ed Edelen was in the circa 1932 Washington Senators team-issue photo pack. I know Larry Fritsch has the set and may have some dupes for sale.

Archive
09-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Welcome back. We've missed you.....

Archive
09-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Lemke</b><p>Regarding an Ed Edelen picture in the 1931 picture pack, I may have spoke too soon. I remembered having a long conversation with Larry Fritsch about that set in my last days as Standard Catalog editor, and receiving some photocopies, all of which were reflected in the data base for the 2007 book. I even checked the 2006 book before I responded and saw that Edelen was, indeed, listed. He is not, however, in the 2007 book, which I just received today. I see the end result of Larry's research was that we changed the date of the set from 1932 in the 2006 book to 1931 in the 2007, changed Carl Fischer to Charles Fischer, changed Walt Masterson to Walt Masters added Clark Griffith and replaced Edelen with E.B. Enyon, Jr. secretary-treasurer of the Senators, who is pictured in civvies. My recollection is that Edelen's name and the other earlier information came from a contributed checklist and it's possible the provider of that list misread the facsimile autographs on the Enyon and extrapolated it as that of the journeyman pitcher. <br /><br />Leon, thanks for the "welcome back." I've been lurking off and on and generally enjoying a respite from hobby "responsibilites".

Archive
09-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>suprised no one looked on Baseball-Refernce.com<br /><br /> <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/e/edeleed01.shtml" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseball-reference.com/e/edeleed01.shtml</a><br /><br />2 days, 1 total inning, 3 ER, 6 BB

Archive
09-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>5th youngest player to step foot on a diamond in 1932