PDA

View Full Version : When do you say no?

Archive
09-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>You must say no right away, and stick to it!<br />The problem, as I see it is in defining the difference between photographs and baseball cards. Clearly, some are easier than others. Unfortunately for me, the modern stuff seems more like basaeball cards than the early stuff.<br /><br />And OJs are perhaps my primary love in this hobby.<br /><br />Through the cabinets, CDVs, etc. which we all love: these things are photographs. Perhaps attractively displayed, but photos only. The Mayos - which I particularly like (and really can't afford in almost any condition) are photos.<br /><br />This is terrible.<br /><br />Say it isn't so.<br /><br />Heck, the Kimballs are good, and the 162s - gotta love Anson's color!<br /><br />But its the OJs which are the foundation. This can't be. I guess I am mistaken. What is the difference between a photo and a card?

Archive
09-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Al C.risafulli</b><p>Nothing!<br /><br />Here's how I look at it, maybe it will work for you: if I want it, it's a card.<br /><br />If it was included in a pack of gum, it's a card. If it was included in a pack of smokes, tobacco, caramel, candy, bread, coffee, tea, sugar, or eggs, it's a card. If it was wrapped around matches, it's a card. If it's a pin, it's a card. If it's a blanket, a felt, a silk, a playing card, a coin, a photo, a trade card, a premium photo, a CDV, a cabinet, a pennant, a beer can, a bottlecap, a die-cut, a foil shiny thingy, a wrapper, a game card, the back of a cereal box, the back of a Jell-O box, in a slab, out of a slab, it's a card. They're all cards.<br /><br />Except if there's a Red Sox player on it. If it's a Red Sox item, it's not a card and should not be collected.<br /><br />Other than that, it's all cards. In my humble opinion, of course.<br /><br />-Al

Archive
09-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p><br />Well said Al.<br />Thats all folks.<br /><br />Joe<br><br>Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Archive
09-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>The big difference between OJs/Mayos and CDVs/cabinets, etc is that former were included in a product as a premium. The others were sold as a photographic item.<br /><br />You could also argue that all cards are photographs since they dipicte the image of a player, which all that a photograph does, just in a different way.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.