PDA

View Full Version : Yorktown auctions

Archive
09-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Posted By: <b>dave</b><p>where do these guys get so many high grade t-cards? are they consigning for that many people? seems like every night they have multiple t206's and others in PSA 6, 7 and even 8's.

Archive
09-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>They were taken to task on thi board for doing that before. They did some enhancing to some 1938 Goudeys that made them look fake. You'd think they would have learned their lesson that from that fiasco<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Archive
09-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>what's up with those glasses?

Archive
09-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Posted By: <b>Bill</b><p>Jay, what are you talking about? I have only ever sold a few 38 goudeys and never had any complaints about them? I do not enhance any scans (or even know how to). I use an old hp psc750 scanner, and that is how they show up.

Archive
09-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>First of all I am getting fed up with all of the folks staying somewhat anonymous and making accusations. I have rarely deleted stuff but here is a warning...if I don't know you by your handle and you make an accusation about something then I am deleting it. Al Davis's is being deleted now....If you put your name by it fire away, but be ready to back it up......regards

Archive
09-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Al C.risafulli</b><p>I follow 1938 Goudey auctions religiously, and I track them all.<br /><br />I don't know Yorktown at all, other than having bought a handful of items from them over the last year or so, but I do not recall them being a seller of '38 Goudeys. I would certainly remember sweetened scans in their auctions, and I would certainly have made a note of it in my records. It never happened.<br /><br />There was one auction house that had a heavily sweetened scan of a high-grade '38 Goudey HOFer within the last year; it was mentioned on 54 and within a few days a new, accurate scan was posted on their website. The seller wasn't Yorktown, however.<br /><br />-Al

Archive
09-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>For the record Bill F. and Yorktown Sportscards have always been A+ in my book. Never an issue on large transactions we have done together.....regards

Archive
09-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Prizner</b><p>Bought a T3 Waddell from Yorktown a few months ago. Card was even nicer in person than the scan showed.

Archive
09-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Kravitz</b><p>What a joke! There is no valid reason by looking at a scan and with no prior dealings with Bill, for someone to come on the board and blast him. Bill is one of the good guys and is a solid member of our hobby!

Archive
09-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>Bill,<br /><br />I have no idea what my brother is talking about (maybe got you confused with Brian Cataquat?), but there was a simple question asked in the original post about where are you able to get all these highgrade cards? I would be interested in knowing also. Too me it is fun find out where all these cards come from.<br /><br />For the record I have many excellant transaction with yorktown.<br /><br />Lee<br />

Archive
09-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I have to run to work right now, but it's easy enough to check who put up the enhanced 38 Goudey scans as it was part of a thread on this board. If it's not Yorktown, then my mistake, but who I remember the seler being. Doesn't mean I wouldn't deal with them or think they are bad. Enhancing the color on scans is not a good thing though and you end up with disappointed customers when the card isn't as vibrant as what was posted.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Archive
09-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>Ditto to Leon's comments re: dealings with Yorktown.

Archive
09-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Bill is someone who has always been a great person to deal with and my transactions with him have always been first rate. Just my 2 cents.<br />tbob

Archive
09-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Posted By: <b>paulstratton</b><p>Same here.

Archive
09-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Posted By: <b>dave</b><p>doesn't take much to take a question and have it to the opposite direction, no, i was never insulting the intigrity of yorktown, mainly more envious and curious as to where they get so many of the high grade cards to list. i'm guessing that bill didnt come across eight shoe boxes full of mint t-206s, so was curious where they do come from.

Archive
09-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>I don't think anyone took your post the wrong way. I think people were referring to a comment from someone (which was subsequently deleted).

Archive
09-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>No comment on Yorktown or the cards, but 'Al Davis' has been a regular poster on this board for some time. I always assumed his real name was Al Davis, Davis being a common last name. I don't recall any of his previous posts (didn't read what he said here), being out of the ordinary for this board.

Archive
09-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Both of these folks can email me and we can chat and all will be good. Neither is banned but ole John B is most of the way there. I asked him to email me a few days ago and he didn't. That, in and of itself, is a bannable offense on the board. It's for the protection of everyone, trust me...

Archive
09-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Posted By: <b>jay wolt</b><p>As Jeff P. stated<br />I also won a T3 from Yorktown (Lajoie PSA-2)<br />Great card, great service and won it for $100<br />less then my snipe.<br />They are great to deal with...jay

Archive
09-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian H (misunderestimated)</b><p>Like Lee, I would still be interested in the original subject of this thread if anyone has any insights on that. Although my guess is that for the most part Yorktown/Jeff does it by having his name out there as a buyer of T-cards (raw and otherwise) and travels all over the place buying them and having a good handle on the ever-changing market:<br />T205s DOWN (a little) ; T3s UP; T206 WAY UP! <br /><br />(all bets are off for high grade -- PSA 7 or better -- in any of these sets. then they are way up

Archive
09-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>I would guess that he gets them because he handles a lot of them. So if people want to consign cards like that to an ebay seller to maximize their return with a trusted name, then Yorktown, like Greg Busineau at Legacy are the people that consignors think of for those items.<br />JimB

Archive
09-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Posted By: <b>davidycleback</b><p>Most consignors consign items to a seller who has sold similar items and got good prices. It makes sense that high prices for a certain type of memorabilia will result in more consignors of that type of memorabilia.

Archive
09-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>Yorktown buys alot of quality cards with several connections<br />and long enduring homework and meetings. Builds very nice "HOTRODS "too, if you's are ever looking for any !!!<br /><br />If it werent for Bill, I wouldnt of had my first Jackson crackerjack - 2 of my Boston Garters and numerous caramels.<br /><br />

Archive
09-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>I bought a jackie robinson rookie that was described as ex/mnt from yorktown sports. when the card came it had a crease that was pressed out and when it was sent to psa it rec. a grade of 2. An ex/mnt card can't have a crease, even if iy has been pressed out. my mistake as i should have realised that had it truly been ex/mnt they would have had it slabbed. 400.00 was the amount. that was my last transaction with them. before that i had bought a few other items w/o a problem.<br /><br />Steve<br /><br />

Archive
09-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Posted By: <b>dave</b><p>I wonder exactly how much the percentage fee is for having yorktown handle your cards for auction?<br /><br />by the way dan, the c smith so lgr is on the way this morning, did put the insurance and confirmation on it, let me know if any problems.

Archive
09-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>email bill, he is more then approachable. Great want list filler<br />guy too !