PDA

View Full Version : Is This Person a Legitimate Buyer on Ebay?

Archive
09-21-2006, 05:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Donald Johnson</b><p>For those of you who sell pre-war on Ebay, I was wondering if anyone thinks that this zero feedback buyer matth9823 is legitimate?

Archive
09-21-2006, 06:21 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>Sorry, I'm not much of a seller at this time, but I thought I would check it out. His about "Me" description is fairly entertaining & well written. I would think if he corresponds easily & is "well spoken" via email, I would have to try to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, I often feel that everyone is "guilty until proven innocent" on Ebay when they are new.

Archive
09-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Posted By: <b>T E</b><p>I assume he's your hi-bidder on something you're selling. It is scary to me (hoofaway) as a seller. Weird weird weird. Guy doesn't like to use spell check. Contact his first sellers-they should have been paid by now.

Archive
09-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Posted By: <b>T E</b><p>I sent a seller who this buyer bought 2 $1K tobacco cards from an email asking if he'd paid-auction closed 2 weeks ago, so it should be a good indication.

Archive
09-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>As a seller, I'm always concerned about 0 or low-feedback buyers. I also contact other sellers to see if the high bidder has paid. I can't recall ever having a problem with them. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, because we've all been there.<br /><br />Hope everything goes well.

Archive
09-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>I sold him 5 playballs and have talked to him on the phone. Got a personal check within the week and deposited it. So if it will go through before I ship the cards.

Archive
09-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Posted By: <b>T E</b><p>Good to know, if you don't mind, Bobby, let us know if there is a problem. This guy has gone on some shopping spree.

Archive
09-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>Just got off the phone with him cuz he just bought about $2K in some of my T205's. Says he is gonna send a cashiers check. He is a little odd on the phone and does some rambling about this and that.

Archive
09-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>I hae his phone number if you want it to talk to him yourself<br />

Archive
09-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Naturally you worry, but, from my experience as an eBay seller, there's no 'statistical' evidence that 0 or very low feedback buyers skip paying at an unusually high rate. Most are new and pay their bills like everyone else.<br /><br />Relatedly, many sellers worry about foreign buyers, but, from my exprience, Europeans pay their eBay bills at a higher rates than Americans.

Archive
09-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Posted By: <b>T E</b><p>I agree on Euro thing David. The only problem with Euro is Paypal policy on chargebacks-you're gambling every time you ship to Europe that the buyer isn't a crook. But, having said that, Euros are soe of y best customers.<br /><br />The feedback thing, though, you have to be careful. I agree that we all have to start someplace, but the only real problems I've ever had with buyers, and it is just a couple, were with low feedback types.<br /><br />Bobby, you're the barometer on this buyer-it seems so odd that his About Me page talks on and on about selling, then he lists some Play Ball PSA 3 type cards, and meantime spends many thousands of dollars on cards after saying he needs to cut back.

Archive
09-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>For the photographs I sell, perhaps 35-40 percent of the bidders are European. I figure that the raised final prices more than offset any potential charge back. Especially, as I've never had a European customer not pay or charge back.

Archive
09-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian H (misunderestimated)</b><p>I think I cancelled his bid (which I have almost never done) when I looked and discovered that along with a "0" he had a high number (one of the highest I have ever seen) of retractions in a very very short time. I felt bad in light of his "about me" but I was operating with "an abundance of caution" (as we say).<br /><br />I hope he is OK (as an eBayer) and will check this thread along with his rating to see what happens.

Archive
09-22-2006, 04:39 AM
Posted By: <b>T E</b><p>Two feedbacks from two sellers on 9-20, fast payment, one a $1,300 item...

Archive
09-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul Moss</b><p>I cancelled a few bids from him this weekend. Nothing personal, but one look at seeing how much he has won the past three weeks, at the time zero feedback, and the fact that I received three rambling emails after his bids had been zapped, that went on about ID theft, etc. did not leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling <br /><br />Well his about me page mentions a partner of some kind, so where's his partner in all of this? <br /><br />I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have enough drama in my life. If he's legit, then I've blown off a potential good buyer, but the reality is that there's plenty of them out there that I don't have to lose sleep over. However, we've all seen the heroes enter the ebay arena spending up a storm, only to run short at the end.

Archive
09-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Posted By: <b>T E</b><p>Better to be safe than sorry. Unless this guy has very deep pockets, he's going to have an awful hard time covering these purchases he's made on this rather prolific spree.