PDA

View Full Version : I don't usually do this (or you would have heard of it) but I've painted myself into a

Archive
09-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>corner. It sort of snuck up on me (yeah right). But I just came across a w517 Klein which was purple, and I had no purple w517s (can you imagine how empty I felt?).<br /><br />Anyway, the Klein matched a grouping which I was half heartedly putting together entitled "those guys who hit 4 HRs in a game"<br /><br />And now all Ive got left is Rocky Colavito (chump change), Gehrig, Delahanty, and Lowe. Gehrig accomplished this feat in the early 30s, the other two did so around the issuance of the Mayo set. So, ideally cards from that era would be preferable.<br /><br />But how to proceed?<br /><br />1st. Establish a budget. ok. $1000.00<br />2nd. Deal with it.<br /><br />A Mayo Delahanty is a killer. Scrap it. Go for the absolute worst example. One that has a pinhole the size of a railroad spike. Hope to get away under $200. Is this possible?<br /><br />Trash the Gehrig. Forget Goudey, get a scrap w-517 (even if purple) for $100 or less - $100 is possible if total trash.<br /><br />Go for a vg or so Lowe based on the remainder of the budget (but get the others first).<br /><br />I am interested in entertaining other scenarios for accomplishing my objectives within my budget. But I will not consider options which include cards issued during periods other than that in which the 4HR/GM were accomplished.<br /><br />Thank you for your insight into my inadvertant paint job, gentlemen and ladies.

Archive
09-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Zach Rice</b><p>There was a board member with a PSA 1 Mayo Delehanty in the condition you describe. Horrible condition, eye gone due to a pin, creases, etc. He upgraded a few months ago and was trying to sell it, wanted around $300. Not sure if he did yet, maybe he'll respond here.

Archive
09-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>I will put a B/S/T thread in, to keep us legal, but thanks, Zach.

Archive
09-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>Delahanty will be your tougher card. I recall seeing an OJ Delhanty at the National in beat condition for just under $1000. The others should be pretty easy to find.<br /><br />BTW, Lowe was the first major leaguer to hit 4 HRs in a game and as he circled the bases the crowd through down gold coins onto the field. Would have loved to see that.<br /><br />Joshua

Archive
09-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Gil</b><p>Gold coins? Yeah, Id like to see that.<br /><br />But a thousand dollar Delahanty will destroy my budget.<br /><br />Plus an OJ is the wrong period.<br /><br />I think that they had $1 gold coins during that period - smaller than dimes. Sure to get lost in the grass. And $5 about the size of nickels.

Archive
09-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Zach and Mike - you sure gave this project a boost! In no time at all, you converted what appeared to be an almost impossible task into one which should be within my grasp to complete.<br /><br />The Mayo Delahanty, of course, was the key - or more accurately the price of it. Through your efforts, I have secured an example (or will actually have it soon) which appears to be a genuine, unaltered card - this is what I had hoped for.<br /><br />This card is within my budget, which was megar by any standards. Im feeling so good about this turn of events, that I will expand the budget slightly to allow for the inclusion of a midgrade Gehrig from an unpopular set (gee Gil, you are all heart, you tightwad).<br /><br />And then my search for the Lowe can commence.<br /><br />Thank you gentlemen, you have helped immemsely in this completion of the guys who hit 4 HR in a game. And it is quite a crew! Pat Seerey (who?) is my favorite!<br /><br />You gotta love this board!