PDA

View Full Version : E121 (80 series) question

Archive
09-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Posted By: <b>BobS</b><p>In the process of attempting to organize my collection, I've come accross a couple of these little gems. One is a W. Johnson (throwing), and I can't recall the other (might have ben Harry Hooper) since they're not right here as I type.<br /><br />Anyway, they both look too good to be true. Not much, if any fading, or paper "patina", nearly perfect corners, and very little surface wear.<br /><br />I was wondering if the legits were produced on a very thin paper stock (these are), and also do they have a notable history of reprinting/counterfeiting.<br /><br />My lyme, unfortunately prevents me from remembering where I got them, but it was probably in the early 90's, at a show or from a supposedly reputable local dealer/friend.<br /><br />Thanks for any help or comments.<br /><br />Bob<br /><br /><br /><br /><br><br>returnaddress

Archive
09-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Posted By: <b>MikeW</b><p>Bob,<br /> I couldn't give a definite answer to your cards with out seeing them.. But, I can tell you there are well done fakes of these cards out there. In fact some one said in another post.. "assume there are fakes out there for any card of value". These cards might be easy targets as well, because they are black and white. <br /><br />Regardless, there are still tell tale signs.<br /><br />

Archive
09-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>never having seen/held a e121 REPRINT i would imagine it would be hard to fake these as the real ones are thin stock paper. i would think reprints would be typical card stock.

Archive
09-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob S</b><p>Thanks, guys. <br /><br />I had a feelig that thin paper stock might be a sign of authenticity. I guess the only way to go is submit them to SGC, and see what happens.<br /><br />Thanks, again.<br /><br />Bob<br /><br><br>returnaddress

Archive
09-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>Post a picture of front and back of one of the cards if you can.

Archive
09-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard Masson</b><p>The E121 reprints done in the 1970s are on thicker, coarser cardstock and actually appear a little yellow or dingy now. They are easy to differentiate from the real thing. Mark Macrae was helpful in assisting me in identifying some of these. Yours sound real.