PDA

View Full Version : 1940 Playball prices?

Archive
09-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Posted By: <b>David B</b><p>I'm interested in starting the 1940 Playball set. I was wondering if I could tap into the board members expertise and ask what kind of prices I should expect to pay for a typical common card in G/VG condition (graded or un-graded), and some of the star cards. I know prices can vary widely from what the price guides say. In other words, what would be good or fair deals to you guys? Thanks

Archive
09-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>There are two utilities available: Vintage Card Prices.com and Card Pricer which detail the prices realized on eBay and all other auctions for all prewar sets in all grades. This is a very valuable resource for many of us.

Archive
09-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>David,<br /><br />That's an excellent choice of sets to build. I've been working on that thing for over 25 years (but not too actively for the past few years). I wish I would have completed it 20 years ago... <br /><br />In any case that set is so loaded with stars (unfortunately not Ruth, Gehrig or Cobb). <br /><br />Commons (ungraded) in the condition you're describing should pop up for a few bucks a piece on ebay. I'd wait to find someone that is selling a lot of them so that you can take advantage of the shipping/handling break. The high number commons are definitely going to be a bit tougher and a little bit more than that. Stars, stars, stars - this set is so loaded with them and they're relatively inexpensive because a lot of them had been retired for a while. The biggies, as you probably already know, are DiMaggio, Williams and Jackson. I'd probably try to get those cards already authenticated unless the seller has a reasonable return policy. <br /><br />You are going to have a lot of fun with that set!!! Best of luck and the beauty is that the set is that you get a lot of HOFers without having to sell the farm.