PDA

View Full Version : If you absolutely needed to maximize value which auto authenticator would you use?

Archive
09-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob S</b><p>Folks here who know a little about me will understand why I'm asking.<br /><br />I guess another way to ask the same question is, currently, whose authentication is bringing the greatest premium over a "raw" autoed item. I hate to ask a question like this with Richard and maybe Jim being members, put I can't afford not to.<br /><br />I hope everyone will understand, and that I won't get folks irritated at me.<br /><br />Thanks, sincerely.<br /><br />Bob<br><br>returnaddress

Archive
09-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Posted By: <b>prewarsports</b><p>I feel that the market price for the following three authenticators/companies is essentially the same in the current market.<br /><br />PSA/DNA<br />Jimmy Spence<br /><br />and possibly <br />Mike Guttierez<br /><br />However, their prices to authenticate might fluctuate so you might be able to maximize your profit based on what each comapny would charge rather than what the pieces would bring on the open market based on the COA. If you had any of these people authenticate your item for resale on ebay or in an auction, you would come out about the same in my opinion.<br /><br />Rhys

Archive
09-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>PSA/DNA and James Spence, IMO. Not sure if you talked to Mastro, REA or Lelands (they get amazing prices despite not using any authenticators), but that's the perfect way to side step having to pay to have things authenticated. <br /><br />They will charge a % that compares to eBay when you add everything up (including Paypal if you have, time and hassle of people asking you stupid questions like: Did Roger Maris really sign that? Are those autographs authentic etc.,) and probably get you more for the lot in the long run. <br /><br />Honestly, I feel like anyone who uses authenticators that it's a complete waste of time and money...but it's a necessary evil these days to resell. <br /><br />I saw this one HOF item (I think it was a Judy Johnson index card) sell for $14 with out PSA/DNA cert and slabbed, it sold for $78. People buying the opinion, not the item...like people buying the slab, not the card. <br /><br />DJ

Archive
09-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Posted By: <b>edacra</b><p><br />I bet there are a lot of good buys for legit autographs out there just swimming in that Ebay pool of fakes.<br /><br />(unfortunately, a lot of those fakes still make into auction catalogs, and get authenticated somehow)