PDA

View Full Version : is this wrong

Archive
08-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Soaking a card. <br />Ive heard that soaking a card off an album is ok. But removing a crease is wrong. What if I removed a card off an album to remove the glue and paper. No the card that was being removed had a 2mm crease on the edge. During this process the crease was removed not on purpose. Is the card now altered because it once had a crease and now it has been removed. Or has it just been removed from a scrap book and acceptable to the hobby. Removing items from cards has been oked by collectors but where is the line. I feel removing paper from a card bumps the grade. And so does removing a crease with the same process. Which is wrong and Why? they are the same and if one is wrong they both are.

Archive
08-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Al C.risafulli</b><p>Copying my opinion from the other thread, in cased you missed it:<br /><br />to Peterose, to answer the question you've asked a couple of times. I'd find it hard to envision a situation where a crease can be removed without any sort of pressure put on it. The process of soaking gunk off a card usually doesn't involve pressure - just soaking, maybe a little rubbing. However, if a crease mysteriously came out of a card I was soaking for the purpose of removing gunk, then I'd have to consider that an exception, and not the rule, and so I'd live with it.

Archive
08-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave Seaborn</b><p>First off, this has been answered several times already.<br /><br />Second, I agree with Al. I cannot imagine a situation where your hypothetical crease would just disappear after soaking (without willfull application of some kind of pressing).<br /><br />Third, to answer your other question...there is a difference. The two are most definitely NOT the same. Soaking removes external material that is not part of the card. A crease is part of the card. You may not want it to be there, but it's still 100% card. Scrap paper attached to the back, for example, is not part of the card itself. <br /><br />Hopefully this has answered this series of questions.

Archive
08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Removing something from a card is altering a card. Puts it in the same boat. Same thing. You are changing its apearance!<br />They are the same

Archive
08-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Al C.risafulli</b><p>Okay, then. <br /><br />If you've got a bunch of paper and glue-laden prewar HOFers in your collection, I'm a buyer.<br /><br />-Al

Archive
08-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>What exactly is the point of this thread. It seems that you have your mind made up. This topic has already been hashed and rehashed in another thread and I believe everyone's position is quite clear. <br /><br />For what its worth, I too do not believe you can remove a crease simply by drying a soaked card underneath a stack of books.

Archive
08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>My point is. If you remove cards that once had paper on them, then you are a card doctor. Its the same as removing a crease. One is not better than the other. They are both alterations.

Archive
08-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>I have a lovely e107 wagner...but it has a large, hardened booger across his face. is it wrong to remove this?<br /><br />pete ullman

Archive
08-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Seth B.</b><p>Pete, I hope that was a joke, but if not, I say, pick away!

Archive
08-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Posted By: <b>John S</b><p>Only if it is Honus's booger. But if you remove it Topps might be willing to purchase.

Archive
08-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>I had a piece of the booger dna tested/carbon dated and it is a booger from pre-1920...it couldn't be confirmed if it was honus's booger or not though.<br /><br />peter in mn

Archive
08-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Was the booger rebacked? And if so which part was tested?

Archive
08-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>the booger was congealed, debunct, rebacked, fudgepacked and cracked!<br /><br />pete in mn

Archive
08-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>peterosepsa - why not start another couple of threads to let us know exactly how you really feel. My point is you made your point once already - this thread was completely unnecessary.<br /><br />now, since the subject was raised - what's your answer to the booger question? do you slab it with the booger or do you scrape it off?