PDA

View Full Version : A "Mildew" question

Archive
08-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob S</b><p>Now that I'm back posting I'm going to limit myself to one new topic post per day. LOL<br /><br />I have noticed on a few T3's the faint smell of mildew. But there are no visual signs on the cabinets like the black/dark brown spots, etc.<br /><br />Is this a problem, and can sealing the cabinets in a plastic bag with baking soda (separated from touching the card, of course) help to permanently remove the odor, an/or prevent visual damage from developing?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Bob<br><br>returnaddress

Archive
08-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Rather than baking soda, I would try silica gel.<br />My uneducated thinking is this: the safest way to stop mildew is to remove moisture. That baking soda has a capability to absorb some odors is generally accepted, but Im not sure about its safety in this situation. Specifically, I think baking soda is somewhat alkaline. If so, the pH on the surface of your cards could be adversely affected; thereby causing deterioration.<br /><br />However, my (again) uninformed thinking is that mildew is a living thing, a fungus. I am not sure that it requires moisture to persist, but I think so. And I know that silica gel removes moisture. And that silica gel is neutral, and therefore will not affect your card's pH.<br /><br />Lets hope that someone who really understands this, will chime in.

Archive
08-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Posted By: <b>John S</b><p>Call me sick...but I kind of like that smell on all old cards.<br /><br />Stay away from the baking soda however. Being a basic substance it could cause a chemical reaction with any of the acidic dyes or paper components. Even if the baking soda does not touch the cards a small percentage of it could become volatile. The silica, as Gil stated, would be a better option.