PDA

View Full Version : How was the PCL Reunion Show in Oakland, CA today?

Archive
08-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Patrick McMenemy</b><p>I'm curious as to how well the PCL Reunion Show in Oakland went today?<br /><br />Patrick

Archive
08-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Patrick McMenemy</b><p>I'm surprised nobody responded to this thread....I did have the right date...August 12th?<br /><br />Patrick

Archive
08-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott Cowan</b><p>Bumping to top as I am hoping that someone was able to attend and will pass along the overview to us.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Scott

Archive
08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Posted By: <b>jP</b><p>well i didnt get to go i crossed my weekends off. i had to see my mom off to the airport last saturday, i am bummed i didnt get to go. next one

Archive
08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Posted By: <b>edacra</b><p>It's criminal this thread had to be bumped so many times.<br /><br />I was there! It was a lovely event. It was a very intimate gathering, to the point where I'd estimate the majority of people in the room were the players and family. There were moments I felt like I was crashing a real family reunion.<br /><br />I want to thank Mark Macrae for reaching out to email me when he spotted my post in this forum asking about the event. The Bay Area can be a bit fickle about their own heritage, and Mark Macrae should really be commended for pulling this off. So much of San Francisco's truly unique history has been lost, which is a strange thing to think about a city so steeped in nostalgia. We owe a lot to the people helping us play catch up in recognizing such huge parts of California culture, beyond even just some ball clubs. I'm glad I was I was in town to experience the day.<br /><br />Of the PCL material for sale, it's the most I've seen in one place even with just the 8 tables. That said I didn't buy anything. Most of it was books, and photo reproductions, but there were also a lot of the great oddball items that make PCL collecting fun. I didn't see much in the way of high end Zeenuts, but Mark had a good amount of affordable ones for sale. I'm not sure it was the place to pick up a PCL bargain, really, but that's to be expected.<br /><br />There were a few old pre-war players in attendance, which was cool to see. I think I would have prefered a more formal meet and greet, or maybe switched the order of the days events in reverse. A lot of the PCL alumni weren't identifiable until it was too late, and a lot of the guys snuck out early during the presentations. Maybe the honored guests could have had different badges then the friends and family wearing badges. Watching some of the older guys going down memory lane with their friends, all while trying to balance themselves on a drift wood sculpture chair while signing autographs was a little awkward. Don't get me wrong, this kind of stuff added to the charm of the event.<br /><br />Okay, not sure what else to report back - trying to type quickly and still make sense.