PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone attend the "Wagner" auction

Archive
08-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p>And if so; did anyone bid on the card?<br /><br />Rich

Archive
08-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>I also want to know.<br /><br />$300k starting bid probably means a resounding "NO"<br /><br />Should have started at $3.oo<br />

Archive
08-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay</b><p>I called Connelly---card did not sell.

Archive
08-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>I made a "Best Offer" bid of .78 cents

Archive
08-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Nothing like overpaying....... be glad they didn't accept it....

Archive
08-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Posted By: <b>edacra</b><p>The card's so notorious, it's probably doubled gained value just based on all the talk.<br /><br />Can we get an opening bid of $1.50 ?

Archive
08-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I was thinking the same thing. It may be fake, but it's the most famous fake in the world. Put me down for a bid of $2.25, with a ceiling of $3.00.

Archive
08-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Posted By: <b>William Heitman</b><p>I doubt we've seen the last of this card.

Archive
08-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Bill- I'm certain you are right. These guys will never give up.

Archive
08-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Posted By: <b>John S</b><p>I would have purchased if they would have thrown in some horny goat weed.

Archive
08-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>the "next step" in the quest to find a sucker...er buyer is to give the card to the "flamboyant, mustacioed ,Daliesque, park ave, sports memorobilia broker" mike mango". who proclaimed "it is at least a 4" given the pub from the non-sale connaly auction and the soon to be aired HBO gumball special, "mango" should have buyers knocking down the walls of his park ave. office. now the question still remains who is this mike mango???

Archive
08-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I got my new Sporting News magazine on Thursday and Geez what a surprise as even they had a little blurb about the Wagner....although the photo they showed was a different card than the fake one being auctioned.

Archive
08-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>At a dinner, an art dealer once showed Salvador Dali a Dali print and<br />asked him if it was authentic. With everyone looking, Dali said "No." Dali later pulled aside the dealer and explained that he did make the print, but the publishers hadn't yet paid him what he was owed. Once he was paid, the print would be authentic.

Archive
08-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim F</b><p>Staying on David's ot post. Dali was a forgers dream. He signed and sold tons of blanks that would later be made into prints. Trying to sell a Dali print is almost as hard as selling that Wagner. Jim

Archive
08-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>When Dali was old and sick, he was taken advantage of. There are a lot of <br />Dali forgeries from his later years.<br /><br />Luckily, there are reliable catalogs for his works that collectors can reference. Also a COA from Albert Field/Dali Archives will reliably indicate the print and signature is genuine, as Field was a world reknown expert on Dali. Any print expert at Sotheby's or The Louvre will know of Field.<br /><br />Field died a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure you can still get an LOA from the Dali Archives website. The Archives, in NYC, was founded by Field with the approval of Dali himself, and I beleive the will issue LOAs for normal collectors.<br /><br />It's also noteworthy that the catalogues raisonne (official catalogs of authentic prints) for many famous artists are available for free online, others in book form via amazon.com etc. These are compiled by the top experts, including professors and museum curators. There are online versions for Warhol, Picasso, Chagall and Neiman. Whether buying or selling, that a print matches the listing in the artist's catalogue raisonne (same size, numbering, etc) is a strong indication of authenticity. These guides are used by the museums, Sotheby's and Christies-- but are also perfectly usable by normal collectors. <br /><br />So, if you are no art expert, and are considering buying an Andy Warhol screen print, ask yourself the questions "Is the print listed in Warhol's catalogue raisonne? And does the print for sale match the catalogue listing?" If the answer to both is Yes, the print is likely authentic-- or, at least, is consistant with being authentic. Considering, the Warhol catalogue raisonne is online with search function, it can take a few minutes to answer the questions. <br /><br />For a collector or auction house, if a Dali print matches the listing in his catalogues raisonne and comes with a Dali Archives LOA, it is almost certainly authentic. If comes with a Dali Archives LOA signed by Field, even better.<br /><br />"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."<br /> -- Salvador Dali.

Archive
08-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Adam B.</b><p>Dali doesn't come up too much on this board.<br /><br />Adam B