PDA

View Full Version : Buck O'Neil hospitalized at 94

Archive
08-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>It appears that he is now resting comfortably. If he should happen to pass away before being enshrined in the Hall of Fame, I am going to personally get on a plane to Milwaukee, find Bud Selig, and kick the frigging crap out of him. <br />For all he has contributed to Baseball, not just Black Baseball, as a player, manager, major league scout and good will ambassador, put him in Selig and quit screwing around!

Archive
08-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Selig didn't vote on the election, but feel free to kick him in the butt for me too, just on general principles.

Archive
08-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Selig was reported last month to be "pondering" adding Buck to the shrine. If he spends as much time "pondering" this as he did "pondering" the use of steroids and HDH under his watch, the player strike, the All-Star game debacle a few years ago, etc., we are in trouble.<br />On another note, I heard that a resolution was recently passed by a legislature (don't know if it were a State or Congress) to have Buck inducted immediately. Oh well....

Archive
08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Bruce Babcock</b><p>I was lucky enough to hear Buck speak in person, along with Ken Burns, at a promotional event for the PBS Baseball series. The event was held at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences theater in North Hollywood. Buck held the capacity crowd in the palm of his hand. Unforgetable.

Archive
08-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>nobody deserves to be in the hall of fame more than buck! it is amazing that MLB could find a "panel of experts" devoid of brain and heart. his election was such a "sure thing" the HoF even had him as a speaker at the induction ceremony.

Archive
08-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><br /> Hi TBOB,<br /> I'll buy the plane ticket. Buck is a class act who deserves better from Selig and baseball in general. Jackie may have been the one to break the barrier, but without "MEN" like Buck, that would have never happened. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery for one of the games greatest ambassadors.<br /><br /> Be well to all Brian

Archive
08-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>I bet if people started a petition and/or a boycott of the Hall of Fame till they put him in then they would make the right move. Its ridiculous with him at such an advanced age and so deserving that he doesnt get to enjoy the enshrinment while he is still alive.It really is a travesty and its getting alot of attention nowadays....all of it negative

Archive
08-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>John<br /><br />The "boycott" has started....attendance at this year's ceremonies was weak,<br />relative to recent years. I go up to Cooperstown every year on HOF week;<br />so, I can tell you this 1st hand.<br /><br />The largest attendance in recent years was when Richie Ashburn and Mike Schmidt<br />were inducted. There were over 30,000 people at the ceremony. This year there<br />were no more than 1/2 that many people there.<br /><br />Next year will bring the big crowds as Gwynn and Ripken are inducted. But, the<br />past few years the attendance has been diminishing. The HOF cannot continue to<br />slight players like Buck or Gil Hodges or Babe Herman or Bill Dahlen....to name<br />a few.

Archive
08-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>While in high school, I was lucky enough to work for Ed Keetz who promoted many shows in the upstate New York area. Buck appeared at a couple of card shows. He was scheduled to sign autographs from 11-2, however the show did not end until 4 pm. After Buck was done at 2pm, he proceeded to grab the large microphone on the main autograph stage and tell stories and entertained the crowd for almost another hour. By far, my favorite story told was the origins of his nickname "Nancy". After that, he spent the rest of the show walking around, talking with people in the crowd, telling more stories, and probably signing another 200+ items! The guy was truly incredible.

Archive
08-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>The low attendance could be blamed on the fact it was only Sutter going in and he wasnt exactly a popular choice.His big moments came 20+ years ago with St Louis and thats quite a haul to get there.I think next year you will see alot of people drive up from Maryland to see Ripken go in.Philly is close and Ashburn was a god there and alot of people waited awhile for him,while with Sutter not many expected it and he was an odd choice with the likes of Rice,Dawson and Gossage either far ahead of him statistically or in Goose's case a very comparible player

Archive
08-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Bill K@sel</b><p>We're not the only ones demanding Buck's induction into the HOF.<br /><br /><a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0608/gallery.embarrassingmoments2/content.12.html" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0608/gallery.embarrassingmoments2/content.12.html</a><br><br>My personal collection - <a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/</a>