PDA

View Full Version : Goo Gone

Archive
08-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>I understand the need for some sellers to place price stickers on the slabs. But some of them (not you, Leon), insist on pressing them down so that only a nuclear blast would get them off.<br /><br />Has anyone used "Goo Gone?" Does it work for the sticker residue? (Windex doesn't for the tougher cases). Do the scientists here know if it corrodes the plastic and does it have to be wiped off with water, or leave it be?<br /><br />Signed,<br /><br />Paranoid in CA<br /><br />Thanks for the input!

Archive
08-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Sean</b><p>I used goo gone once on a screw down case and it left the case foggy/cloudy. I would try rubbing alcohol first with a paper towel, usually that does well.<br /><br />Sean BH

Archive
08-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Posted By: <b>Gary Nuchereno</b><p>I use it all the time to take sticker residue off. I always wipe it off when I am done with plain water. No problems so<br />far.

Archive
08-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Posted By: <b>Erland Stevens</b><p>This may sound kind of lame, but sometimes a good thing to remove sticker residue is another sticker. Put a new sticker on the residue of an old one, and then slowly peel off the top one. Repeat as needed with the same &quot;new&quot; sticker. You should see some progress after a few tries. I've never tried it on a slab (because I don't have any), but it works great on sheet protectors.

Archive
08-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Posted By: <b>Andrew</b><p>Please don't confuse Goo Gone with Goof Off. The packaging is somewhat similar, the outcome when using the latter is not.<br><br>“A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.” - English Proverb

Archive
08-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>Or scotch tape works. Wrap a strand around a finger or two, with the sticky part facing away from your fingers. Then press the sticky tape down on the goo. Lift up quickly. Look at the tape, you should see some of the goo on your tape. Repeat process quickly, like a sticky tapping on the goo spot. It'll come right off. I use this technique on label marks on SGC holders all the time.

Archive
08-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Posted By: <b>Turner</b><p> I do the same thing that Erland does.<br /><br />It gets the job done for me on slabs, but Ive never tried Goo gone.<br /><br />Turner<br /><br />

Archive
08-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe Jones</b><p>Goo Gone works and is not hamful to the plastic, just make sure to rinse it off. You do have to be carful with SGC slabs though because they tend to show rub marks. I always have to protect sgc slabs with plastic sleeves or they get marked up in no time.

Archive
08-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>works great as someone said for SOME applications, however, the result when trying to get sticker residue off a PSA slab is actually like something from X-Men where the molecules are permanently re-arranged. It left a 1952 Topps PSA5 where it would have to be completely re-holdered.

Archive
08-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Archive
08-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>i used goo gone 1x on a psa slab and it ruined it.

Archive
08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Jerry</b><p>I think Goo Gone has a touch of Acetone in it. And Acetone and plastic does not get along together.

Archive
08-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Posted By: <b>dd</b><p>WD40 works great for this purpose.

Archive
08-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim James</b><p>The stuff is expensive,but Bestine works best on light adhesive.It evaporates guickly,so it doesn't require any additional cleaning.Any well stocked art store will have this product.

Archive
08-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Posted By: <b>vertigojumps</b><p>Leon used Goo Gone on Sean...<br />It works!

Archive
08-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Posted By: <b>Peter_Spaeth</b><p>Lighter fluid has worked for me. I don't see why people have to put stickers on the front of a slab though, I really don't.

Archive
08-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I put stickers on front, at shows, so folks don't need to ask to see what the price is. I am probably going to change to putting them on the back as then I will be able to speak to more potential buyers....

Archive
08-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Posted By: <b>Peter_Spaeth</b><p>Leon, if people want them on the front for that reason they should put the slabs in plastic sleeves and put the sticker on the sleeve. It can be annoying to have to remove a sticker that is right on the flip or even obscuring a portion of the card, and they don't always come off cleanly.