PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me the deal with the W575-1 Kendig's Chocolate back

Archive
07-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Manos</b><p>Uncataloged card. But was told they are similar to the Henry Johnson back cards that were reproduced in the early 70's or had black stampings instead of purple. This baby looks real to me but I don't know the story behind this card?? Can anyone enlighten me??<br /><br />Why would someoe stamp the back of a 10 cent card in the early 70's you could buy a 52 Topps set for $20 dollars. Lastly, the card I have is withour question a real W572 and the back looks worn and old as well?? No clue???

Archive
07-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I believe Leon thinks they are all fake, but he's out painting the town in Anaheim at the moment.

Archive
07-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Manos</b><p>It wasen't $ I wouldn't think, cards were not worth that much in the early 70's. Someone give me any point why this would be done?? Does anyone have one/any of these cards??

Archive
07-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p>Jim , search posts for Kendigs, they were discussed a while back. I bought about a dozen of these in about 1985 from an antique dealer thru Antique Trader magazine. I showed them to Lew Lipset and he said they were fake. The antique dealer returned my money. No photos of the cards.<br /><br />Joe

Archive
07-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>The only Kendigs Ive seen were (fake) W575-1 cards. Ive never seen a stamped W572 card except the Neilsons (The Neilsons are authentic W572's with a modern fake stamp on back).<br /><br />Are you sure its a W572??<br /><br />

Archive
07-28-2006, 04:26 AM
Posted By: <b>Jim Manos</b><p>w575-1

Archive
07-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Posted By: <b>Robert S</b><p>Jim--<br /><br />They are fake. Simple as that. <br /><br />Here's a repost from earlier post:<br /><br />According to Bob Lemke's book, "Sportscard Counterfeit Detector" Kendig never released baseball cards.<br /><br />Lemke writes on page 35 of his 1994 book:<br /><br />"These cards should more accurately be classified among the fantasies than true counterfeits bacause the company never issued cards. However, since Kendig's did issue trading cards, and since most collectors and dealers are not all that familiar with legitimate issues of the 1910s, it seems appropriate to include these cards within the body of the book.<br /><br />"These fantasies/counterfeits were first reported in late 1989, having surfaced at East Coast flea markets. Two players were reported seen on the cards, Babe Ruth and Ray Chapman; others most certainly exist.<br /><br />"Card fronts were apparently copied from the 1916 Collins-McCarthy 'Baseball's Hall of Fame issue of 200 cards, with the exception that the card number from the originals was not included on the fakes. This might account for the fantasy cards measuring only 3 1/8 inches in length, rather than the 3 1/4 inches of genuine E-135s.<br /><br />"Backs of the phony baseball cards appear to have been rubber-stamped, reproducing the typography and layout found on Kendig's 'Flags of The World' cards which were roughly contemporary with the Collins-MCcarthy.<br /><br />"Genuine E-135s have a semi-gloss surface on the front. The purpoted Kendig's baseball cards are printed on porous paper which has been artificially aged"<br /><br />That said, a few years ago a lot of four fake Kendigs were floating around on eBay, with several winning bidders returning the cards to the seller after seeing them. They were way too thin (with images showing right through) and the ink appeared brand new on the front, although the paper was made to look old. <br />