PDA

View Full Version : N690 Kalamazoo ?

Archive
07-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>Back to the hobby of cards..<br /><br /><br />The Lyons on the right was not catalogued and sold for $65,100.00 on 11-13-2005. I researched it because I don't think they are the same player so I came up with the conclusion that the new card is Harry Lyons and not Denny. The records show that he played for Athletics, do you agree with my findings? <br /><br /><a href="http://www.vintagecardprices.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.vintagecardprices.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2</a>

Archive
07-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>Aberation - I wont go into the bidding habits of the in this auction or WHY people bid certain ways but this was one of those cases where (IMO) it would be difficult to be objective about the data gathered. <br /><br />If memory serves me correctly there were a few K-Bats being sold by the same source and there were a few that went for significantly more than most people would have predicted.

Archive
07-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>I guess my last post should have been with regard to the final price of the card rather than to the identity of the player on the card.

Archive
07-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>The two major collectors of Kalamazoo Bats both needed it. I think if a second one showed up, you would see a much lower price. It might be a good idea when tracking prices to have something to show that a particular extreme price may not reflect the market as a whole.

Archive
07-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>That information is nice but the question is do you think it is Harry?

Archive
07-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay</b><p>Your observation is incorrect. The newly discovered card (Athletics) is Denny Lyons. The previously known Lyons cards showing a Philadelphia NL player was Harry Lyons. I say cards because there is a Lyons and also a Lyons and Taylor. The Lyons Athletics card was an unlisted card which was astutely recognized by the winning bidder.

Archive
07-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>My bad on the direction of this thread.<br /><br />Baseball reference indicates Denny = 3B and Harry = OF<br />

Archive
07-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby</b><p>Barry,<br /><br />We all know that it was a bidding war for the card between 2 individuals and we porvide links to eBay for people to see the results of the auctions. The real problem is the cards of this magnitude rarely sell on eBay and usually through major auction houses such as your own. We are not privy to who the bidders are in such auctions so how can we properly report the majority of the high end cards in the market. Because most likely most of these card prices are as high as they are because of 2 individuals battling it out for the card.

Archive
07-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Bobby- that's a fair question and there is no precise way to answer it. In general, if a Philadelphia Kalamazoo Bats player sells in say the $2K-4K range, give or take, and then one suddenly sells for 64K, it's probably a good idea to do exactly what you are doing now- see if you can find out more about the card and why it sold for so much. It's clearly a rare card of a Philadelphia player, but it had some sniping at the end that raised its final bid considerably. Obviously, there aren't too many situations like this that will come up so it shouldn't be a problem. It's almost certain someone on the board would know the story behind these kinds of transactions.

Archive
07-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>If you look at the final four bidders and the top two are heads and tails above the rest then you know it was a battle between two individuals. If the top three or four bidders are within close proximity in their bidding then the bidding probably reflects the value of the card. <br /><br />For example, if the top two bidders were near $64K and the third bidder and fourth bidders were $60K less then you can use deductive reasoning to figure out what happened. <br /><br />Straight dollar amounts on winning bids can be a little deceiving when trying to figure out what a card may be worth. Like Barry mentioned, if another similar card shows up then it will probably sell for much less than the $64K final bid that won that last Lyons K-Bat.

Archive
07-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>other......guess they won't be having thanksgiving dinner together.