PDA

View Full Version : OT: Couple of Publication Questions.......

Archive
07-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>Hopefully Leon won't zap me from the home office in Lucas, TX...<br /><br />1) Trader Speaks<br />Can someone tell me what first issue was and last issue was? I have MANY in between but still targeting what first and last issues are (Leon might know or might benefit from this.....)<br /><br />2) Sporting News Record Books<br />The small format books........<br /> a) What year did they begin? I know they ended in 1940....<br /> b) How many or what years did they publish red AND green books. I have 1933's in both red AND green with Dizzy Dean.

Archive
07-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Looks like it's you and I this morning. I do want to eventually get a full run of TTS and am sure someone will know......btw, I have almost never zapped any off topic from an everyday board participant.....it's all in the rules and they haven't changed in over a year.....

Archive
07-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>Leon.....I knew you'd let it fly.....I've got a lot but the late 1960's and early 1970's will be tough to complete. There's someone in the ebay stores with a bunch I need but they want $9.95 each for them and they are unyielding on discounts, so they can rot there.........

Archive
07-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>According to Grobani, the Sporting News published record books from 1908-1941. The listing doesn't distinguish between green and red. Do they have different titles?

Archive
07-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>No difference on the titles. Almost like red/green books.....I havent spent time really looking at the differences. I have (3) green ones 1931/33/35 and then I have the 35 in red. I've seen most all of the years in Red but only 31/33/35 in green (so far). I thought my 1912 was pretty close to the beginning of the run. They published (and might still) them well into the 1980's as I had a run from 1941 up that I'd bought but only kept the small format ones. The small ones end at 1940 with Bucky Walters. Anyway, thanks for your help!

Archive
07-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Tom- they could have issued them with different covers. There may not be any difference in terms of information.

Archive
07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Harry Wallace (HW)</b><p>The first issue of the Trader Speaks was November 1968. The first four issues are extremely rare to find. They are acutally stapled together by hand at the spine and are teh same size as a normal sheet of paper.

Archive
07-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>any idea on last issue? I go through October 1983 and haven't seen anything in 1984.............

Archive
07-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p>I have a complete run (or just about) including the last few issues published by Sonny Jackson after he purchased TTS from Dan Dischley. I believe those last few issues are just as difficult to obtain as some of the early issues.<br /><br />Regards<br />Rich<br />

Archive
07-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Harry Wallace (HW)</b><p>I believe that the last issue that Dan Dischley published was September 1983. <br /><br />Rich is right. It was sold to Sonny Jackson and then I believe that Krause ended up with it. I do not know the absolute last issue with the subsequent owners. For me, the Trader Speaks stopped existing as soon as Dan sold it.<br /><br />I have copies of the last (post-Dischley) issues somewhere in my library, but I cannot put a finger on them right now. They are somewhat difficult to find (I think that everyone just threw them away), but nowhere near as difficult as the first four issues. The first two issues are nearly impossible. I was trying to locate copies for a fellow collector and was never able to find a single copy.