PDA

View Full Version : Prices dropping on ebay?

Archive
07-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Not in the prewar area but here's an srticle to eschew...<br /><a href="http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/9447.html" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/9447.html</a>

Archive
07-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Joann</b><p>I haven't found that to be true of cards in general since 2000 (year of example given by the article). Although since spring auctions it does seem like maybe the hobby is collecting it's breath and taking a break. I've seen a few more decent ebay bargains, but only in the past few months, not long-term.<br /><br />I also have a very small collection of Rookwood pottery, all of which I purchased on ebay in 1999 - 2001. Just casually watching those auction areas, I would say that this collectible is also a little ahead. Definitely haven't gone backwards - although they haven't appreciated as much as cards.<br /><br />Just personal and very non-scientific observations.<br /><br />Joann<br /><br />(Although I have to say that the sentence about sellers moving off ebay to niche sites did sound exactly like our BST activity increases.)

Archive
07-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>Check out the date of this article= "05/03/01 12:19 AM PT."<br /><br />It also references stats from 2000. Looks like a publishing goof to me.

Archive
07-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Brett</b><p>I'm not about the prices dropping on ebay. I haven't been able to win anything on ebay in a month. a PSA 2 e98 Lajoie is $300 right now.... and i thought paying $40 for a e98 Lajoie with a bit of paper loss was too much. It would grade excellent if it wasn't for the paper loss. <br /><br />Even t206 commons are going to crazy amounts. t206 commons that are ripped in 3 places are getting almost $10 each in lots of 5 - 10 cards in some cases !

Archive
07-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Posted By: <b>martindl</b><p><br />Yep, tough to get any reliable data from a 5-year old article. There's no such thing as the 'Collectibles Market' - at a minimum it has to be broken up into categories al la stock indexes. Items need to be grouped with comparables.<br /><br />Take Pottery & Porcelain as an example - as Joann states, Rookwood continues to rise, especially for the rarer pieces, while items such as Royal Bayreuth or Doulton or ever rarer Worcester pieces have been in decline for 3+ years. Is the market in decline because of Ebay or is Ebay just reflective of the market decline?

Archive
07-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p><font color=blue>In the long-run, eBay and the Internet have simply served to make for a more efficient marketplace both upwards and downwards. I would be more concerned about rising oil prices fueled in part by increased violence in the Middle East coupled with rising interest rates as having negative effects on the American economy and ultimately, card values. Let's not blame the thermometer for what the sun has caused.</font><br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive
07-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Sorry if I didn't make myself more clear. This was to show that 5 years ago articles were being written decrying the fact that ebay prices were declining. Here 5 years later, prices are booming in almost all areas. We don't even to mention what has happened in the pre-war area over the last 5 years....

Archive
07-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Joann</b><p>Duh. As the first response, it looks like I trucked the whole group down the wrong path! Sorry Bob - your original intent was more interesting than where I got going.<br /><br />J

Archive
07-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Posted By: <b>anthony</b><p>when it comes to vintage cards, im sure the average in general has dropped since there are 14 billion fakes that dont sell, or sell for a low price to the highest "shill"...i doubt they are just counting the graded cards or the ungraded cards by honest dealers.<br /><br />another hobby with a ton of fake crap is "civil war" items...kepis, buckles, cases, etc...nobody grades these and puts them in a case, you just have to know who the honest dealers are<br /><br />the guys that know these fields are staying away which drops the price