PDA

View Full Version : odd card company help needed

Archive
06-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Posted By: <b>anthony</b><p>what other vintage tobacco companies put out baseball cards or sets that contained a baseball image, that are similar to the following: ?? <br /><br />1900's W.D. & H.O. Wills<br />1929 Churchman's (Babe Ruth)<br />1925 Turf (George Sisler)<br /><br />I have seen a couple others but cant remember the names or find them anywhere, any help would be appreciated.

Archive
06-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>Those are British (tobacco) card companies. Those cards aren't so popular when you compare them to US card companies.

Archive
06-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>1933 Josetti Tobacco - Babe Ruth<br /><br />You can go through the chronological index for the Standard Catalog of BB Cards and probably find more.

Archive
06-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Chad</b><p>If you're looking for foreign cards issued with tobacco then there are a bunch from Cuba, a few from Venezuela and some odd ball stuff from other countries. Or are you looking for sets that issued only a single baseball image within a larger set?<br /><br />--Chad

Archive
06-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Eric</b><p>Anthony,<br /><br />The MacRobertson's issue (c. 1917) made in Australia looks similar to the Turf. I have a scan of one on the bottom of my website here: <br /><br /><a href="http://www.freewebs.com/goudeyhunter/uncatalogedcards.htm" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.freewebs.com/goudeyhunter/uncatalogedcards.htm</a> <br /><br />It's not the spittin' image of the Turf..but they resemble each other.<br /><br />E.<br />

Archive
06-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Posted By: <b>anthony</b><p>for the baseball image within the set, not the whole set...i just think that some of them are pretty cool looking...i know they arent as popular since its America's pasttime, and thats better for me since "i'm not made of money" and "money doesn't grow on trees" <br /><br />after checking out leon's site, i think i'm becoming a "type-card" collector, not that these would fall into that catagory... i have found that vintage set collecting for me is and will be impossible to do, so i'm in search of cards that appeal to me...thanks for all the info and i'll put it to use