PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning lot 950 in the Goodwin & Co. auction

Archive
05-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Hal</b><p>I got the old cardboard e-mail today and was looking through some of the auction sites. I noticed that lot 950 in the Goodwin & Co. auction shows a 1922 calendar with "cards" of managers around the border that look like the 1935 W-Unc orange bordered manager cards, but with the 1922 managers. Did the 1935 cards come from a similar calendar made that year? Thanks.<br /><br /><br /><br />----edited to add more specific title. Thanks....Brian---

Archive
05-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Manos</b><p>I never noticed but it is a killer piece. Still has the little rope at the top to hang-up. Bid HIGH. Thx, Jim Manos

Archive
05-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>It is a great piece. The "cards" around the borders are all managers, as are the W-Unc orange bordered cards I mentioned in my earlier post. However, the W-Unc checklist contains Walter Johnson as Washington's manager and a different pose of Mack. Walter Johnson managed Washington from 1929-32, indicating the Sporting News put out a similar piece in at least one of those years as well. If so, these were probably made at least for every year in between, so there may be quite a few more out there yet to be discovered. Again, great piece!