PDA

View Full Version : S74 Question - worth grading?/Checklist

Archive
05-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Prillaman</b><p>I hate to ask stupid questions -- but here goes.<br /><br />I just picked up a small group of s74 Silks<br />several of them still have the backs attached and I was just going to throw them up on the bay -- are they worth getting graded, or are the people buying them not neceesarily swayed by the grading. <br /><br />Also One of the silks is of Jimmy Archer, who I would assume is a common, however he is not listed in the Beckett 2005 Almanac or in the latest Beckett alphabetical I have sitting on the shelf. Does anyone have a Krause guide that can confirm the common status of one Jas P Archer? Or likewise a website with a S74 checklist.<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Jeff

Archive
05-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Keith O'Leary</b><p><P>Archer has a colored silk listed in Lipset's book, but not a white. If the white silks&nbsp;have their backs, they're worth plenty more than without. There are a couple of hard to find backs too...the Turkey Red blue backs and the Red Sun backs will add even more value. Keith</P><P>&nbsp;</P>

Archive
05-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>hi jeff,<br />keith is correct. (hey keith!)<br /><br />jimmy archer is listed as a colored silk in scd.<br /><br />and i do beleive that is accurate, as i have never seen an archer white silk.<br /><br />there are white colored silks (not to be too confusing).<br />i suppose that white colored silks are about as common as any other color.....but i am not a colored silk expert. <br /><br />the white silks do not have a tobacco brand on the front, colored silks do. <br /><br />also, white silks did have a paper backing (though many are missing the backing after close to 100 years), colored silks do not.<br /><br />i am guessing that arecher is a colored silk. i would be happy to give an answer with a scan.<br /><br />regards<br /><br />edited to add, i do not think grading silks is neccesary.