PDA

View Full Version : Mayo Cut Plug ??

Archive
05-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Hello,<br />I was just wondering if anyone on the boards could give me some information on the 1890s Mayo Cut Plugs. I know that all of them are blank backs but are all of them black. I have one that is white and I am suspecting it is a reproduction. Any information would be helpful thanks a lot. <br />Mark<br />

Archive
05-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>They are all black backed. A white back is either a reprint or a skinned back (where the top layer is removed).....Mayo's are also known for being "touched up" with black ink since their back and borders are black....regards

Archive
05-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>The boxing Mayos have a white back, but all of the baseball ones are black backed as Leon stated.<br /><br />

Archive
05-04-2006, 03:08 AM
Posted By: <b>John S</b><p>I am aware of documented non-skinned white-backed N302's. The theory is that they were salesmen's samples or part of an ad piece. I believe a few are SGC graded. With that said, I would not purchase a white-backed N300 or N302 unless I had the piece confirmed by a few individuals that were very familiar with the issue. Stick to the black reverses.

Archive
05-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Of course I was only referring to baseball Mayo's....(not T203's either wise guy's)....regards