PDA

View Full Version : Selling my cards

Archive
09-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Posted By: <b>yeshua817</b><p>Ok guys i have around 1700 oringinal vintage baseball<br />cards all in the 50`s from 52 to 59 .This is new to me <br />and i am not sure how to go about it.They are all ungraded<br />and the reason they are is i`m not sending my cards off to no one .Kind of a trust thing.This is my first post .I`m a retired Railroader and live in Western Ky .<br />Don`t want to get taken to the cleaners and want any and all advice

Archive
09-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>There are people ehre who colelct 50s cards, but we are mainly dedicated to pre-WW2 cards. There is a Buy/Sell/Trade (BST) section with a link at the top of the page. You can list your cards there as this post will get delete very soon since BST threads are not allowed on the main page.<br /><br />I don't quite understand why you would have trust issues with grading companies,yet at the same time are more than willing to sell your collection to a total stranger over the internet.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Archive
09-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>I understood this post to be seeking advice as to the best way to sell his collection. My advice is to consign it to a reputable auction company or one of the ebay dealers.

Archive
09-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>Yeah Josh but he may not know who to turn from there. Who is a top notch auction? We may also be dealing with Fair-Poor commons as well. What's the paranois with grading card companies, sir? <br /><br />DJ

Archive
09-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I would find the best auctioneer type company, whether ebay or otherwise, get a very low sales commission rate, or none, and let a professional company sell them for you. There are dozens listed on the links page of this forum. hope this helps.....otherwise, requests to buy/sell/trade do go on another page which is a link at the top of this page... regards<br /><br />edited to add...obviously if you use an ebay consignment company there has to be a fee because there is no money coming from the buyer for them....those fees are generally 15%-20%....and this option would be quicker than a major auction house too

Archive
09-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Posted By: <b>BlackSoxFan</b><p>Recognize though that 1700 cards will result in a tremendous amount of work .... and if the total value (roughly lets say 6 or 7 bucks a card) is roughtly 12000 .... a 10-15% total commission is not unreasonable .....even if that is broken up into 50 total lots ... even if it takes only 30 minutes to do one lot from start to finish .... and that's being EXTREMELY generous considering time to properly pack and ship items ... respond to questions and such .... the real time is closer to an hour you can see how much effort will have to be put forth by an auction house.<br><br>Regards,<br />Black Sox Fan<br /><br />- - - - - - - - -<br /><br />I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know<br /><br /><a href="http://www.blacksoxfan.com" target="new">BlackSoxFan.com</a><br /><a href=mailto:shoelessjoe@blacksoxfan.com?subject=Ne t54>email me</a>

Archive
09-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>and go through the guide to get an idea of what cards are worth. For 50's cards, the guides are fairly accurate. Also pay special attention to the grading guidelines and how the condition of the card significantly affects the value of the card.<br /><br />Both the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards by Lemke or the Beckett Annual Price Guide are readily available.

Archive
09-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>Richard,<br /><br />I strongly disagree that the price guides are accurate for 50's cards, unless they are high grade premuim HOFers you are lucky to get 50% of book. Just check the realized prices on ebay, no where close to book.<br /><br />Lee

Archive
09-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>True - the guide can be off when trying to sell. <br /><br />However, my response was more geared under the assumption that the requester has absolutely no knowledge of what he has at all. <br /><br />It is also good to see how condition affects the value of cards and to see some numbers in print when you are starting from zero experience. Too many people bring in a creased up mantle into a card shop thinking that they have a several thousand dollar card in hand.<br /><br />I agree - ebay results are the best way to determine market!

Archive
09-09-2005, 05:47 AM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>I agree with Josh K. Consign the cards. Sell them on eBay.<br /><br />This is in part due to the fact that an eBay dealer generates much more credibility because of his feedback and established following of buyers, than an individual typically can. And the increased price that the dealer generates partially offsets his fees.<br /><br />But you would have to relax your "i`m not sending my cards off to no one .Kind of a trust thing." requirement a little.

Archive
09-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Anson</b><p>If you're looking to make money on your cards, grade them. You'll do much better. As far as trust goes, you have to weigh the pros and cons. The big 3 graders (PSA, SGC, GAI) are fairly reputable and rarely have issues.

Archive
09-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob Rousseau</b><p>Sir- I realize it's a hassle to get the cards graded, but you'd very likely see a much bigger return for your sale if they're graded. At least consider doing it for the bigger name cards (Mantle, etc.)- you don't have to do it for all you've got. Use all the insurance, etc. offered, send them registered, etc. so that you're covered. Make sure you get a good scanner particularly for any ungraded cards if you sell them via Ebay.

Archive
09-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Posted By: <b>BlackSoxFan</b><p>If you are serious and would like to discuss, you are welcome to contact med via email and i will talk to you on the phone about your cards.<br /><br><br>Regards,<br />Black Sox Fan<br /><br />- - - - - - - - -<br /><br />I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know<br /><br /><a href="http://www.blacksoxfan.com" target="new">BlackSoxFan.com</a><br /><a href=mailto:shoelessjoe@blacksoxfan.com?subject=Ne t54>email me</a>

Archive
09-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>My recommendation would be to get at least a few of the star rookies or Mickey Mantles (if there are any) graded by PSA. Not only would this help in selling these as singles, but, if you were to offer as big lot or lots, having some graded would result in a higher sell price as bidders will have much more confidence. There would be no need to send in the entire thing to PSA.<br /><br />Even if your collection doesn't contain any Hall of Famer rookies or Mickey Mantles, it still might be a good idea to get a handful of better cards graded. Even MastroNet will get four or five representative cards from an ungraded set graded by PSA as they know it will increase bidding. <br /><br />If you have a large collection of 1950s baseball cards with some nice stars and rookies PSA graded, you would have no trouble find a reputable auctioneer to sell them for you. If it's not something MastroNet would take, there are good eBay sellers like SCGaynor would sell them for you. <br /><br />Don't expect anything near book prices for lower condition ungraded cards, but there would be demand for a collection of 1950s Topps baseball cards with a handful of PSA graded keys.

Archive
09-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>Mr. Lampley: Thank you for the e-mail message which you sent. Perhaps you can help me understand a bit about your "life long" collection.<br /><br />It sounds very similar to what mine was, before I consigned most of mine away. Specifically cards from 1952 - 1959 which I had accumulated from packs which I opened from the time I was 7 through the time I was about 14. At that time females seemed to change from an annoyance to me, to an interest of mine. I suddenly had no more money to spend on frivolities such as baseball cards, because my new hobby (Judy) was becoming a bit costly.<br /><br />I am sure that you had similar experiences as well. However, you have stated your age as 51, while mine is 60. Now if you too opened packs of cards to obtain your collection, you started when your age was negative two; and ended on approximately your fifth birthday.<br /><br />Certainly this can not be. Please advise me what I have misinterpreted.<br /><br />Thank you,<br />Gilbert Maines

Archive
09-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Posted By: <b>steve k</b><p>Pasted from the internet:<br><br>Yeshua or Jesus,<br>Which is More Accurate or are They Equal?<br><br>The e-mail name of the poster has deep religious connotations which can be further explored by googling the name Yeshua.<br><br><br><br>But I'm sure everyone here including the person starting the thread would agree that it would be quite unwise to send money to anyone new on a forum claiming to have something valuable. &quot;Kind of a trust thing.&quot;<br><br>

Archive
04-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>It seems senseless for any bookstore to keep old annual price guides from the 70's, 80's, or 90's. Perhaps this is why I have had no luck finding any. Does anyone know how I can obtain old annual editions of Beckett's Baseball Card Price Guide or even the Americana price guide? As far as I'm concerned, the older the better. I'm doing some researh and need to find out how much certain cards were valued at during the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Getting someone on the phone from Beckett's has been tough. I'll try again, but wanted to make a post here and see if anyone had any old guides they'd be willing to sell or at least let me borrow. I'll pay cash! If you live near Portland, OR, even better! My research deadline is fast approaching. <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Nick

Archive
04-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>check eBay. You can occasionally find old copies of Becketts available. The first edition will cost you a bit of money though.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.