PDA

View Full Version : Paypal Scammers

Archive
04-11-2006, 02:19 AM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>No boy guys try everything to get into your acount.<br /><br />I got notice that I had paid for a new TV thru my Paypal account. It had a link that you were to click if you did not authorize this purchase.<br /><br />I have gotten into the habit of checking my account on both Paypal and Ebay anytime I get things like this and low and behold, I had no charge on my account.<br /><br />Just a heads up, never click the clicks on any eamil from paypal or ebay, you can always find if the email is real at your account.<br /><br />Lee<br />

Archive
04-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Posted By: <b>steve f</b><p>In case noone else knows, forward it to both; spoof@ebay.com, spoof@paypal.com<br /><br />If you can cut n paste the header/source to the top of that email eBay can exorcize that site. Of course there will be another phish site up in a few minutes to replace it.

Archive
04-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Ebay and Paypal will never send you any investigative notification or similar email with a link in it. Any email from them that has a link should be treated as phishing and deleted. Period. If no one ever opened these emails the scam would wither on the vine and die.

Archive
04-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p>I get these once or twice month, just forward to Spoof.<br /><br />joe

Archive
04-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Scot Reader</b><p>Lee,<br />Sounds like we got the same email. A $390.85 Sony camera will be charged to my credit card and shipped to some guy named Larry Stark in Fresno unless I dispute the charge by entering my paypal password into a paypal spoof site. Sound familiar? I'm embarrassed to say that this one actually had me going for a while--wasn't the usual "we'll shut down your paypal account unless you respond immediately" type of scam (usually riddled with typos) that I've grown acccustomed to.<br />Scot

Archive
04-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian McQueen</b><p><br />I've received a new version of this email as well - a few times in fact. They'll write me with a short note that says something along the lines of "This Email is to confirm that bobsmith@hotmail.com is now your new primary email address. If this information is incorrect, please click here..."<br /><br />The intriguing part of this is they try to hijack your account by making you think that your account has already been hijacked.<br /><br />Just for the record, another dead giveaway in these is the spelling. For whatever reason, the individuals behind these spoofs must not have been English majors in school as I always find one or two misspelled words or grammatically incorrect sentences in the ones I receive.

Archive
04-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Posted By: <b>steve f</b><p>Yea, the typos are frequent. You'd expect at least one Romanian in their village to own a Funk & Wagnalls.

Archive
04-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Charlie O'Neal</b><p>Just a heads up...I got an email today from ebay member tmcneil2hv4 stating that he was still waiting for an item I had sold him for 5 days. DO NOT click on the respond message, it will direct you to a different site. I have to admit that it got me, since I have been selling a few things lately so I had to go thru and up date everything with new passwords.

Archive
04-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard Simon</b><p>The phishers will be around forever.<br />The direct e mail now from someone who had a question about a transaction with you is just the latest scam. First it was e mails directly from ebay or paypal, now its from a fake buyer.<br />Who knows what will be next.<br />Never enter your credit card or password on a website that does not say<br />https:<br /><br />--<br><br>I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.<br />Unknown author <br />--<br />We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.<br />No retreat baby, no surrender.<br />The Boss