PDA

View Full Version : 1914 Cracker Jack Frank Chance

Archive
03-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Posted By: <b>prewarsports</b><p>I was wondering if anyone would like to enlighten me on why the 1914 Cracker Jack Christy Mathewson is an $80,000 card when all they did was change his photo for the 1915 set, meanwhile they completely eliminated the card of number 88 in the set, Frank Chance and he sits at $3500? I have been monitoring the sales of these two cards for some time and can not find any evidence that the Mathewson is any rarer than the Chance. I realize that Mathewson is more popular, but this seems like a HUGE anomaly. Even Lew Lipsett described the Chance as the most desirable of all 1914 Cracker Jacks some years ago. Any thoughts as to why the huge price difference on these otherwise pretty similar cards?<br /><br />Rhys

Archive
03-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>You hit exactly on the head, Matty is much more popular player than Chance. They are the 2 key cards to set, but there are far more people that collect only Matty than there are people that collect Chance, so there are more driving factors for the Matty.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>WOW upsidedown is MOM. Mom upsidedown is what dad wants to see.

Archive
03-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>It has always been a perception that the '14 Matty is more scarce than any other card in either CJ set, including Chance. That would certainly drive the price up even if he's not more scarce. Remember, for newbies, value is ALWAYS a 2 sided equation. Supply AND demand.....not one or the other....That's why some cards in really obscure sets, eg.. D303, T213, T215, T216, etc... aren't completely through the roof. And yes, I know that those sets have risen a lot lately but still not close to the supply side of the equation, in real prices ...imo.....regards<br />

Archive
03-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>For me, it was the HORIZONTAL factor of the Matty.<br /><br />I always like cards that are DIFFERENT from most of the other cards in the set.