PDA

View Full Version : Autograph Help!

Archive
03-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom</b><p>Hello everyone,<br />Longtime lurker and reader of the forum. I know this topic is not card related but I figured a member could help out.<br /><br />I have been trying to research for the past couple of days to see how much a Schoolboy Rowe autographed baseball is worth. The reason I am asking for everyone's help is that I have been offered to purchase a baseball with his autograph but I want to offer the person a fair price. <br /><br />What price should I offer that would be fair? Dont want to offend the person with a low offer and dont want to overpay for the ball. <br /><br />Thanks for the help,<br />Tom<br />

Archive
03-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>died in 1961. If it's a clean ball, it'd be pretty expensive. To get a good gauge on it, I'd get with Kevin Keating or someone like that. Mike Gutierrez would also be a good contact. Pick up an SCD and you should be able to find them or do a google on them.

Archive
03-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Tom is correct. A rule for thumb is to look at the player's death date to judge relative rarity of autographs. The earlier the death, usually the tougher the signature. A 1961 death year suggests the player's signed baseball is scarce.

Archive
03-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>Schoolboy Rowe is a fairly tough signature, but not really tough. Death dates are good indicaters of value but only offer a rough idea. I have seen Rowe autographs change hands fairly cheap on 3X5 cards etc, in the $50 range. Baseballs are a whole other arena and actually are very similar to cards. If you had a ball that was in lower shape with a personalized signature and a non-official ball, I could see a single signed Rowe sell for $100-$300. If the ball was near mint and official with a beautiful signature across the sweet spot, you could be looking at $1000-$2000 in an auction house. <br /><br />There has been a person trying to sell a Rowe signed baseball on ebay for about a month now if you want to look at it. Not a single, and not the best of shape, but he has tried several times at $500 with no takers.<br /><br />Hope that helps some.<br /><br />Rhys<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1930s-Vintage-Autographed-Baseball-Schoolboy-Rowe_W0QQitemZ8769937966QQcategoryZ27260QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/1930s-Vintage-Autographed-Baseball-Schoolboy-Rowe_W0QQitemZ8769937966QQcategoryZ27260QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

Archive
03-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom</b><p>Everyone who responded, thanks for the help. I am meeting with the person today about the ball. At least I have a price range to work with. I will let everyone know about the ball later if I decided to purchase it.<br /><br />Much Thanks,<br />Tom