PDA

View Full Version : Graded Price Disparities

Archive
03-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Posted By: <b>darren</b><p>I've noticed a closing of the gap regarding prices realized for GAI & SGC graded cards as compared to PSA cards of the same grade. Comments welcome.

Archive
03-15-2006, 12:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Rick</b><p>Its really all relevant to the cards being sold ...a rare card will sell regardless of its holder, so will highly desirable cards of stars etc.<br /><br />Show me regular commons graded by GAI or SGC that on a constant basis get the same prices as their PSA counterparts.<br /><br />

Archive
03-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>I haven't. Except for the "gambler's mentality" on the x.5 grades where people hope they can get a bump, I tend to see GAI bid as if it's a full grade lower for the most part. Of course there are exceptions and of course truth isn't dictated by my limited observations.<br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive
03-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Ditto. I think GAI has a rep as a looser grader than SGC. I know I've never crossed a GAI card to SGC at the same level and I buy GAI cards assuming they are a grade lower.

Archive
03-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Posted By: <b>darren</b><p>Good point Rick. My observations are limited to HOFers across all grades for the most part.

Archive
03-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>GAI seems to be lenient on paper loss on the back and chipping in the borders on the front. In addition, based on a failed crossover experience, I suspect GAI is more lenient in terms of how severe a crease needs to be before it will not grade a VG 3. So, I really cannot buy GAI cards at the same price levels as SGC or PSA.<br /><br />I have had problems crossing over PSA into SGC, thought at a far less critical rate than GAI crossovers. The only reason I feel comfortable still buying PSA cards is because if they do not cross over, there will always be someone waiting on ebay to pay me full value for the card. I cannot say the same thing about GAI.

Archive
03-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Posted By: <b>scott ingold</b><p>If i compare my GAI to PSA almost without exception in grades 3 - 7 the GAI is or seems much tighter. This even seems obvious to me looking at scans. Now this is only with T & E cards and SGC seems to be about the same being tougher on these than PSA. When it comes to other issue's as in later than i think they (GAI) are more tolarant in some regards.<br /><br />Does anyone else see this on the T cards in particular ? Or am i totaly off base.

Archive
03-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I tend to think GAI is more lenient, especially in paper loss, than PSA or SGC....I am not a GAI advocate....I do send some cards to PSA, only for resale, as the registry folks will pay more for them ....Obviously I only go with SGC for my personal collection...though I do have a few PSA cards I haven't crossed over yet....(very few)

Archive
03-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Tony Andrea</b><p>Scott, Im with you. The cards I own in a Gai holder are as nice, if not nicer than the ones I own in a Psa or Sgc holder.<br />Dont get me wrong, Iv'e seen some in all three of their holders that make you scratch your head, but I still go by the old saying many state on this board.<br />Buy the card, not the holder. Gai, Sgc, Psa. Im okay with all three.....

Archive
03-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Anson</b><p>I've had pretty decent success with all three. SGC seems to be more responsive and service-friendly, though.<br /><br />I'm waiting for the VBC bumperstickers to be made "buy the card, not the holder!"

Archive
03-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Brett</b><p>after looking at graded cards on ebay, i'd say that GAI is too easy when grading. i can't see how cards with parts of the border missing grade 1.5<br /><br />i don't see much different between 1's and 1.5 by them anyways. both 1's and 1.5's from them have creasing everywhere. i saw some card grade 1.5 even though part of the border was cut of...

Archive
03-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Posted By: <b>barry arnold</b><p>after sending around 300 to be graded by sgc and gai, i'd say they're pretty close now.<br />admittedly, i do see gai grading a half grade higher on occasion, but pretty rarely now.<br />i think you're onto something Darren.still, the bucks are going to sgc and psa a bit more, but not as drastic a difference is made now methinks.<br />i quit sending to psa quite a while back.<br /><br />best<br /><br />barry

Archive
03-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Posted By: <b>scott ingold</b><p>Seems most people i know have also stopped using PSA. I wonder what other peoples issue's have been. Mine is strictly trust in resolving issue's. For me being in buisness this is important and there covering up of issue's and downright censorship has really left a bad taste. I don't feel they can be trusted with most of the average collectors out there.

Archive
03-16-2006, 04:45 AM
Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>Scott -- Seeing as how the crowd here is predominantly pre-WWI collectors, the observation that you don't know anyone who is using PSA is pretty self- fulfilling. It would be like someone posting on an ultra-shiny modern forum that everyone they know uses Beckett. I'm reminded of the northeastern liberal who pined back in 1972, "How could Nixon have won? Nobody I know voted for him."<br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive
03-16-2006, 06:16 AM
Posted By: <b>scott ingold</b><p>Good point David.