PDA

View Full Version : correction to T210 series 6 lists...

Archive
02-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>I've been intending to mention this to you guys... I have 2 T210 series 6 cards for Kircher. One with Shelbyville in batting crouch, and looking at you, and the other with Winchester standing with empty hands, palms toward his pants. The difference I'm talking about here is the player's name on both cards end with an R, not one with an N and one an R.<br /><br />Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards volume 3, discusses T210s, and in his listing of the card on page 74, he has #34 as Kirchen, Winchester and #35 as Kircher Shelbyville. <br /><br />I think this list was mistaken, possibly carried over from previous lists. I also think that modern guides like the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards has perpetuated the mistake by copying Mr. Lipset's work.<br /><br /><br />The 1910 Spalding Guide (referencing the 1909 season) mentions a Kircher hitting .255 for Shelbyville at the very bottom of page 265. On page 264 is a Shelbyville team photo, with a Kircher standing in the back row.<br /><br />The 1911 Spalding Guide (referencing the 1910 season) lists a Kircher playing for both Maysville and Winchester on page 247, with the league's 4th best batting average, .312. And a Kircher is pictured in the Winchester team photo, standing, on page 246.<br /><br />In both photos, Kircher is a short fellow.<br /><br />There is no mention of a Kirchen in either guide.<br /><br />I have a scan of both cards beside one another, it is just over 800k, and I'm not sufficiently savvy to put it up on the board with Photobucket or some such... but if one you you who know's how will email me, I'll email the image to you. Thanks. fwakefield1@comcast.net.<br /><br />So if one of you guys has a Kirchen series 6, can you post a scan just to put to rest my thoughts. And if you don't have one, and believe I'm right, how do we get this info to Mr. Lemke? Before I've sent him cards in the mail. And I have great faith that he'd return them, he always has. It is just that I might be about to sell them and I don't want anything to hold that up. Minimally, the Kircher Winchester needs to be added to the list, even if Kirchen isn't removed.<br /><br />Frank.

Archive
02-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>I dug around and found my 1911 Spalding Record, that shows all results for the 1910 season. A guy named Kircher is listed as a catcher for both Shelbyville and Winchester, catching in 127 games, the top number, tied by Angemeier of Frankfort. Kircher's batting average is again listed at .312. The Bluegrass League is listed on pages 255 to 259. About 120 players of the league are mentioned, but no Kirchen.<br /><br />Frank

Archive
02-26-2006, 05:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Bill Stone</b><p>Frank --According to my records GEORGE C. KIRCHER played for Shelbyville from May 5, 1910 to June 22, 1910 . From June 23, 1910 to September 18,1910 he played for Winchester. He played a total of 42 games( 23 as catcher) for Shelbyville ( which later in the season became Maysville). In 1910 he played 83 games for Winchester ( 51 as catcher) . There is no record of Kirchen playing in the Blue Grass League in 1910.I have been aware of this issue for some time --but thanks for bringing it up in this forum.

Archive
02-27-2006, 05:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>One more card is listed incorrectly in the guides...<br /><br />There is no Mulvain. The card is of McIlvain, of Frankfort. That is the spelling on the card, McIlvain.<br /><br />The 1911 Spalding Record shows a Franfort pitcher named McIlvaine who won 14 games and lost 17 for the 1910 Frankfort Lawmakers.