PDA

View Full Version : Just awful... can these companies be shut down somehow?

Archive
02-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Kyle</b><p>Could someone buy one of these cards and sue the company for knowingly encasing fake cards? There's no way this card can be real.<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-Goudey-144-Babe-Ruth-CSA-8-NM-MT_W0QQitemZ8763084558QQcategoryZ31721QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-Goudey-144-Babe-Ruth-CSA-8-NM-MT_W0QQitemZ8763084558QQcategoryZ31721QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem</a>

Archive
02-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>That is pretty scary. And did you notice that two of the three bidders have a "0" feedback? Whenever you see this stuff bidders with "0" ratings always seem to be especially active.

Archive
02-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Joann</b><p>Can someone point out how to tell this is not real? I'm not that familiar w/Goudeys. But I thought that CSA was a decent grading company from awhile back. I might have them confused with a different company.<br /><br />J

Archive
02-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p><br /><br />You really can't tell if it is or is not authentic but the combination of the following makes it seem like something to avoid: <br /><br />2 out of 3 bidders = 0 feedback<br /><br />CSA graded<br /><br />Item description states sold as-is, no returns<br />

Archive
02-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert</b><p>THe card is most likely real but trimmed.

Archive
02-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Posted By: <b>whycough</b><p> This card is being offered by Mile High Card Company: a long time reputable dealer. You figure this one out for me; I'm at a loss.

Archive
02-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Kyle</b><p>I figured it was fake just by seeing how vibrantly white the card is. Maybe the contrast of the image was turned up, but no other Goudeys that I've seen online look as white as that one. The card almost looks plastic to me.<br /><br />Also, I want to make sure its clear that I wasn't questioning the seller, just the card and grading company.<br /><br />-Kyle-

Archive
02-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Posted By: <b>sagard</b><p>I would guess this a consignment. Real but no doubt a little small.

Archive
02-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>The colors of the card seem off. Is it badly faded?

Archive
02-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>It's very possible that they photoshopped the card to make the white look brighter. Remember the 38 DiMaggio about 6 months ago that had been photoshopped to make the card whiter? Could be the same thing, but I am with Barry, the colors look wrong. The red also seem unusually washed out.<br /><br />You have to wonder why Mile High didn't get this card crossed over. That's a huge amount of money to leave on the table and I am pretty the guys there wouldn't cross it over unless there was good reason not to.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Archive
02-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>i think the card is authentic. but the issue here is the faded front and is it trimmed? i would guess that it was hand cut from a sheet after it was displayed on a wall for a while.

Archive
02-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Posted By: <b>PC</b><p>What's odd about that auction is that it does not have the usual "Mile High" banner or the name anywhere in the listing description, and the "me" link does not go back to Mile High Cards.<br /><br />But Mile High's other auctions under the other Mile High eBay ID (with all the 7s and 8s from "real" graders) do have all the banners and the link back to their website.<br /><br />Strange behavior from a reputable seller.

Archive
02-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve Dawson</b><p>"Due to concerns, this card is being sold AS IS for the following reasons: We feel the card has been trimmed and possibly bleached, and is being sold as a baseball collectible rather than a 1933 Goudey #144 Babe Ruth NM-MT baseball card."<br /><br /><br />Steve<br /> <br /><br />

Archive
02-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>That's a fair and professional response, but the bid is already $510. Too high under the circumstances.