PDA

View Full Version : EBay item descriptions, and cards found in odd places

Archive
02-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike Campbell</b><p>One thing that always amazes me are the descriptions as to where old items were discoverd. This one says "found under a sofa". Now since the photo was from 1910, it makes me wonder as to the cleanliness of the household it was found in.<br /><br /><br />Antique Toledo Amateur Baseball Championship Team Photo<br />LARGE 24"x 20"1910 Team Photo "The Rocks" in Orig Frame<br /><br />"This is a photograph of that entire team.This was found under a sofa and is in wonderful all original condition." <br /><br />Where is the strangest place you have ever found old baseball cards? I am sure we can come up with some odd ones. let's here 'em.<br /><br />

Archive
02-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Kyle</b><p>But over Christmas, my younger bro and my dad were tearing out some floor boards and discovered a group of 4 1989 and 1990 topps cards of some random players we'd never heard of. One of us (me and my brothers) appearantly had stuck them in the wall. It was pretty funny.

Archive
02-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Posted By: <b>pete</b><p>1990 donruss (i think they were 1990, red speckled crap) in the trash can one time...but i left them there, i figured they found their home who was i to take them from their natural environment? that was back in 2000-2001<br /><br />as for vintage stuff, the oldest i found was a '54 topps nobody in a photo album of my dads.<br /><br />pete-

Archive
02-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim</b><p>I was walking down a neighboring street around 2001 and found a 1989 Topps Andre Dawson sitting in the middle of the road. It looked like it had been run over by a truck.......6 times.

Archive
02-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Lundrigan</b><p>I found a ton of football cards and other stuff tossed down a cliff walking my dog.Mostly 90`s crap but I did manage to find 3 Brett Favre Upper Deck rookies the rest became cardboard compost.Looked like some girl got revenge on her ex-boyfriend and dumped all his stuff! Oh yeah there was a SEGA system there too STILL WORKS!

Archive
02-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Zach Smith</b><p>Not really a found story... more like a future find story. I know when I was younger I used to hide stuff all over the house (including some of my cards). My step-sisters used to like to destroy my stuff as payback for all the headless Barbie's I left in my wake. My parents have since moved and I know that there's still got to be plenty of my cards in that house somewhere. Maybe somebody will make a lucky find years from now...

Archive
02-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Posted By: <b>Mike Campbell</b><p>let me add one...When I was about 8 years old, a neighborhood kid, who just had his 16th birthday, took a massive amount of cards over to a nearby pond which we lived by, and said " Now that I am 16 years old, I don't need these anymore, I'm a man now ", and commenced to toss a whole huge box of baseball cards into the pond, across the street from our home. Being a lover of cards, I tryed to save a few out of the thousands, but of course they were water damaged. I think I still have a few of them somewhere. I wonder if he remembers doing that ? This was in 1962. One can only imagine what was in that box. <br /><br />

Archive
02-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Hines</b><p>While in Private school back in the early '80s there was a lot of work being done on the school building. The school had been around since the '40s and needed a ton of work. The workers removed an old window A/C unit and left part of the old window sill exposed. My buddy and I had a field day poking around and looking "inside" the wall (much more fun than class). As I fished around the old wood and concrete I pulled out some old playing cards and bottle caps that appeared to have been shoved down there a long time before (probably some other kid having as much fun in class as I was having). Mixed in with the playing cards was a '55 Bowman Shantz Brothers card. This thing was a gem. Must have been Poor - - - -. Complete with gum stuck to it and 2 of the corners ripped off. But let me tell you. It was like unearthing King Tut's tomb for me. I quickly sold or traded every last '84 topps and Fleer I had and ran down to the local card shop and bought a '33 Goudey Red Lucas, a '34 Jim Bottomley and a T206 Bob Bescher all for $14 + tax (that was when the local card shop actually carried old baseball cards). My transformation (or obsessive, compulsive, completely manical quest) into old cardboard took place. Damn that window sill!<br /><br />Tom

Archive
02-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Shane Killian</b><p>When my girlfriends great grandmother died we helped sort out her belongings at her place in cinci and we found a bunch of old mid 50's topps cards (mostly covered in oil) in one of the drawers in the celler. They were all commons and no names but still pretty neat