PDA

View Full Version : How many complete T206 sets exist compared to those who own Wags?

Archive
02-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>The number of T206 Wagner's in existence is under 100 (numbers vary, think I'm going high here). <br /><br />How many of the people that own T206 Wagner's have gone as far as collecting the set to it's completion? How many "complete" sets (with the biggies) do you think is out there compared to how many that own the Wagner? <br /><br />Or is it the case of someone simply feeling a need to own Hans and going no further.<br /><br />DJ

Archive
02-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Zach Smith</b><p>I'd be willing to bet that almost everyone who has the money to own a Wagner doesn't really care about the "commons"...

Archive
02-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I know at least a half a dozen collectors with a complete set. Not sure about the Doyle, but they do have the Big 3<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Archive
02-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>If I had the $$ for a Wagner I would have a set.<br /><br /><br />IMO If a noncollector/invester owned the Wagner, no set. If a longtime collector owned the Wagner, he would have a set.

Archive
02-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>If you don't have it, do you have a complete set? How many of the "sets" are missing it? T206 Museum reports only about a half dozen known.

Archive
02-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Zach,<br />I am not following your reasoning. Most of the publically known high dollar collections are in the hands of people who are set collectors. I am thinking of someone like Marshall Fogel. I don't know if he is a T206 collector or has a Wagner, but he certainly is in the category of people who could afford one. He has a number of complete sets. Why would one presume that a person who can afford a T206 Wagner is not a set collector. Seems like a disconnect to me.<br />JimB

Archive
02-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>There are many, many more than six complete T206 sets (ignoring the big 3), and probably at least 25 with all except the Doyle.

Archive
02-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe P.</b><p>I agree with JimB,if a COLLECTOR was an owner of a Wagner, chances are that that he/she would try for the set.<br /><br />About 1990, I worked on a list of known Wagner owners and I also kept track of card movement as best as I could.<br />I had about 45 known owners on that list.<br />And for me, that was before the internet.<br />If you stop and think, the information wasn't shabby considering it was all raw research digging.<br />I strongly feel that there are over 100 Wagner's out there.<br />The only one that could possibly have a complete set, and this is no secret to any knowledgeable Collector in the hobby, .... is Larry Fritsch.<br />Back in 1987, he owned the first two Doyle's and almost a third one. .... some dumb @ss collector in the east coast lucked out on that one.<br /><br />The question about calling a set a complete set when it is a known fact that there's a card, or cards missing, .... is childlike.<br />Any serious collector would have a difficult time erasing known facts from their mind.<br /><br />True - we're all insanely involved to some degree in a kids hobby, but it doesn't mean that we have to play make believe.<br /><br />My count for the Doyle.<br />Three known for sure.<br />One strong possible, owned by a dealer.<br />One questionable, obtained by a dealer, same time period and show that the Rosen/Keith O./Grader fiasco in 2001.

Archive
02-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>I believe there is still some debate about the Doyle. Didn't Bill Heitman raise some doubts on a thread a few months ago? Anyway, I think there are 5 known. Fritsch has 2. Ron Oser sold one for about 178k before joining Mastro. Mastro had one a couple of years ago. And there has been a rumor floating around that 707 bought one that walked into a show the same day as the fake walked into Al Rosen's hands. Maybe the 707 was a fake also. I don't know if it has been verified.<br />JimB

Archive
02-07-2006, 04:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Which one ended up with Olberman (excluding the Rosen fake)? The Oser, the Mastro or the 707?

Archive
02-07-2006, 05:19 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe P.</b><p>"I believe there is still some debate about the Doyle. Didn't Bill Heitman raise some doubts on a thread a few months ago?"<br />*<br />*<br />*<br />Jim, that was an interesting and fun thread, but if you re-read it, I think you'll find that it was Ted Z loaded for bear, with assumptions and speculations about the Doyle error without a shred of any evidence to back up his suppositions.<br />Many tried to explain the Doyle eroor, but when one is not receptive, they are not going to receive.<br /><br />I just re-read that thread and again enjoyed Bill Heitman's story into the making of The Monster and his take on the hobby.<br />It's a worthwhile read for all.<br /><br />Stay well.<br />Joe

Archive
02-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Posted By: <b>WP</b><p>Wasn't there an east coast dealer FANTAZIA who was selling fake Doyle cards years ago.

Archive
02-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe P.</b><p>What do you know about him?<br /><br />Where are you from?

Archive
02-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Thanks Joe. Do you happen to have the link to that other thread? I am not real good at searching the archives. T<br />Thanks,<br />JimB